Ballast/Wakeshaper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast/Wakeshaper Question

Hey, new to the site. I just bought a 2005 Tige 22VE that came with no ballast. Looking to use it wakesurfing. I’m not to sure which route to take, either proper ballast configuration for leaning, or to go the wakeshaper route. If a guy were to go the leaning route, what is the ideal setup? Thanks

You need ballast whether you surf primarily listed or running a surf device, to build a good wave.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Is there one that you prefer over another, and if so what is your preferred setup? Thanks

Comment

You and your crew will be MUCH happier with evenly weighted ballast and a shaper vs listing the boat over. Keeps the boat level or near level which makes for a much more comfortable ride. You can get a very good wave with a suction cup shaper. There are many to choose from and just as good to make your own. For ballast, if it was me, I'd get two rear locker bags, as big as will fit, and a something for the bow. Consider a few hundred pounds of lead to easily move around for fine adjustments.

Comment

2nd said unstuck said, I am assuming you are new to driving a ballasted boat as well, weight evenly and use a shaper. Contact CHPTHRIL, he will know exactly what bags fit in your lockers and what hoses, fittings etc etc you need, matter of a fact he will sell you the whole package (depending on availability with all the shortages we have right now).

You could go the throw over side pump/Bag method for now but will guarantee you will be going the switch/permanent install method very soon.

Comment

We did over the side ballast pump for half a season and then bought pumps and bigger bags from Chpthrl. Something special about drilling a hole in the bottom of your own boat haha.

listed drove my wife crazy. So we went equally weighted with a mission delta suck gate and then just moved people around.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you 3-4 months ago. I also bought a 2005 22v (not the VE) with no ballasts. We have a great surf wave now with 1300lbs in each rear locker (purchased customs from CHPThrill) and 450lbs in the bow. I wish I had about 200lbs more in the bow though. We run the bow 100%, surf side rear about 90-100% and offside rear about 45-50% to surf. We use a Nauticurl wake shaper and the wave is money. 10.5-11.5mph taps on 4-5. Here's a couple vids of the wave I get from this setup.

https://vimeo.com/553755121

https://vimeo.com/553755167

Good luck!

Comment

I learned to surf on a 22VE; at a minimum you need ballast for the rear lockers and a wakeshaper, then you'll eventually need to add something up front to lengthen your wave, which is relatively inexpensive. The 750-800lb FatSacs will fit in your rear lockers and that is plenty of weight. (I have and 800 and a Tsunami pump for sale if you're interested), I always surf listed. I finally converted to fully automated ballast from CHPTHRIL this season.
                If I'm not surfing, I'm making money to surf.

Comment

It's all preference. I personally find a dead level surf set up on my VE is less than desirable. Now listing with a wake shaper will give you the best and cleanest wave possible.

Adding a shaper helps give your listed wave more push, cleans up the wave, and will help add length to your wave. The two work very well together.

Comment

Majr808 were are you mounting your nauticurl at? I’m going *** far back as it will go on the opposite side I’m surfing and it looks big but it’s soft and doesn’t push real well.

Comment

I have a 09ve but, it's on the lower step of the hull. I prefer my shaper about 14" forward of the stern and angled down so it's level once on plane. Other's with ve's prefer it all the way back as noted above.
                      If your wave is soft you may want to try dumping some of your bow weight as that will add push back in. To get the length back adjust with speed. Personally, I find regular doesn't like a lot of bow weight whereas goofy loves bow weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X