RZX2 Lead Ballast Bag Weight and Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZX2 Lead Ballast Bag Weight and Placement

We've decided to give lead a try this year. I'll be making a purchase in the next couple days. Just wondering how many bags to buy and where to put them? We have the PNP bags in the rear lockers, so that should be 4100ish in water weight. We always have at least 800 in people weight (5 of us), but double that quite often as well. I'm hoping to be able to stuff it in corners, out of sight and forget about it. I have a three axle trailer so I'm hoping to not even mess with it while towing, but I'll scale it and see what the numbers say.
    I'm planning on removing my TAPS3 plates and installing the newest 3T style plates so that may change things a bit. Likely similar to GSA though.

I know there are some older threads on bag placement, but I can't seem to find anything anymore on this site.

Thanks.

Different boat and trailer than you, but I have to pull the lead out of the rear and place over the axles or up by the driver.....lead in the rear doesn’t ride good....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll definitely spend some time at the scales figuring out where I can store it. I likely wont bring it on our longer trips to Powell and such as we cruise so much there, but our normal trip is 120 miles round trip, so it needs to tow well. If I remember right, the PO told me he put all his lead in the observers locker and under the helm, but I don't remember what weight he said he used. I did find one old thread where Jason said 250 under each PNP bag and I think it was 300 in the bow. So those conflict a little bit. I'll message both of them and see what they say. First trip out should be in two weeks. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
        I'll definitely spend some time at the scales figuring out where I can store it. I likely wont bring it on our longer trips to Powell and such as we cruise so much there, but our normal trip is 120 miles round trip, so it needs to tow well. If I remember right, the PO told me he put all his lead in the observers locker and under the helm, but I don't remember what weight he said he used. I did find one old thread where Jason said 250 under each PNP bag and I think it was 300 in the bow. So those conflict a little bit. I'll message both of them and see what they say. First trip out should be in two weeks. Can't wait.
        How much lead are you thinking?? I know the rzx2 likes a little different setup. I keep 350# under my bow cushions, and about the same in my surf locker, on the trailer. Figure that’s pretty close to balanced, for towing. The rest goes under my side seats, and on the floor, kinda even over the axles. With a 3/4 ton, I’d far rather have more bow weight, than less, for trailering. I’ll keep 1000# in the boat, on my tandem, although it might be a little more than I probably should. I wouldn’t think twice with a triple, but I know you operate in a little safer manner than ole Zack. I think Cole said the RZX2 likes more midship than the bow, if I remember the conversation correct. I’m going to try his 600# bow next time out, and reduce my surf locker to 250#. I’ll put my other 600# under my bags, and see how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I got a pretty good deal on 1000 pounds. I should have it in the next day or two. I know there were some good conversations about lead in the 2, I just can't find them anymore. Ideally I can stash a bunch in corners and forget about them. With my triple axle trailer I should be good, and with my new half ton truck I should be good for about 1000 in payload coming from the trailer so no issue with tongue weight. I have no intention (at this point) of running all that weight. Likely 800 max, but hoping for closer to 500. We'll see what happens with the new surf tabs I'm making.

If anyone can link to some of those old threads that would be great. Or if you have first hand knowledge of bag placement on a 2 that would be great as well.
          Thanks.

Comment

Beleive Jason from Germine did a ton of rzx2 posts on added weight

Comment

Working...
            X