Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thru hull issues

Hi guys

I just took apart the ballast system my 07 22ve came with (not stock pump system) to install a couple ball valves for safety. When I got all the pumps out I wasn’t expecting this thru hull fitting..is this something I should change out? My boat will be docked at a marina all season so would hate to have some kind of failure.

First picture thru hull fitting
    Second possible new configuration
    Third old configuration

These pumps only fill the stock rear and front ballast

I did order MLA custom bags but I am not going to plumb them in this year due to time restraints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't have a top nut to sandwich the thru hull or is there a small ring? Hard to tell from the pic. If there isn't it may be worth swapping out.

Going forward depending on what you're after and fill times you may want to consider more thru hulls so R&L as an example aren't sharing as it means only one side can fill at a time.

Comment

From this angle, it looks more like a garboard hull drain then the thru-hull. But the pic you emailed me from the outside looked like a thru-hull.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        From this angle, it looks more like a garboard hull drain then the thru-hull. But the pic you emailed me from the outside looked like a thru-hull.
        I got under the boat for a better picture. Not sure what these are..any help would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          It doesn't have a top nut to sandwich the thru hull or is there a small ring? Hard to tell from the pic. If there isn't it may be worth swapping out.

Going forward depending on what you're after and fill times you may want to consider more thru hulls so R&L as an example aren't sharing as it means only one side can fill at a time.
          It currently has 2 thru holes 3/4 inch each. Then each one has 2 pumps attached. 2 pumps for the front sac and 1 for each rear tank.

Comment

Yeah, sure looks like garboards. Not a thru-hull. I would highly suggest an actual thru-hull. Also want to caution against the use of brass residential plumbing components. There not as suited for the marine environment as bronze components are.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yeah, sure looks like garboards. Not a thru-hull. I would highly suggest an actual thru-hull. Also want to caution against the use of brass residential plumbing components. There not as suited for the marine environment as bronze components are.
              Can you order me the fittings I may need? Will I have to fill the screw hole with anything more than the 3m sealant? I am up to anything you suggest.

Comment

Would need to remove one and see what the ID of the hole is. Would be better to have to enlarge the hole then to try and fit a thru-hull with a much smaller OD.

Comment

Would need to remove one and see what the ID of the hole is. Would be better to have to enlarge the hole then to try and fit a thru-hull with a much smaller OD.
                  Okay I’ll see if I can get that done tomorrow..ugh what a pain in the *** lol

Comment

Originally posted by adsprog03 View Post

Okay I’ll see if I can get that done tomorrow..ugh what a pain in the *** lol

Comment

When measuring a hole like put the one inch mark on one side of the hole and read from there. The way you are using the tape is easily an 1/8" off... or just go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap digital caliper and use it the ID side.

Easier way to figure the out is to see if you transom bilge plug fits these holes...if it does then it's a standard garboard/bilge plug for sure. If the transom bilge plug is too small then this is a T-handle drain plug fitting which is either 1/2" or 3/4" NPT threads.

Comment

Working...
                      X