2007 24VE Ballast planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 24VE Ballast planning

I just picked up this boat and I am wanting to get it ready for a mix of surfing (I’ve never done it), wakeboarding, tubing, knee boarding this summer. It is a family boat after all! I weigh 260 lb. I am planning on 750 lb bags in the rear and the 425 bow bag under the seats along with a wakeshaper. For a first board I am thinking the Connelly Ride and then I will upgrade to a better board and keep the Connelly for beginner guests. Is this a solid plan and is this enough ballasts to get me ropeless? I wakeboarded when I was in my 20s and was able to do it again last year on my families first boat, a 18’ aluminum deep V with a 150 hp. Quickly found my kids like watersports much more than fishing!

My kids are freshman and 6th grade. We will always have 6-10 people in the boat.

I know people on here are running 3k + in ballasts however my wife is very reluctant to exceed the rated capacity of the boat by that much. Do you really need that much weight to get a good surf wave?

Will this be enough ballasts?

Thanks!

Josh
    Last edited by Jyellard; 12-25-2020, 04:20 AM.

Rated capacity means nothing when it comes to water ballast. If the boat swamps, the water becomes neutral, it will still float and save peoples lives. So go for it.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

however my wife is very reluctant to exceed the rated capacity of the boat
      Remove the sticker.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Also, the Enzo ballasts take up all of the under seat storage. We don’t want to lose that much storage. What would be the second best choice besides the enzo, the 1100 lb bag and just let them conform to the storage area once it hits the back rests?

Comment

An Enzo, or an actual custom "L" shaped 24ve sac, will take up the under seat storage while filled, but its the best use of the available space.

The Fly High W719 Jumbo Surf will fill to about 900# in the locker of the Ve.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

congrats on the new ride and lots of fun work ahead.
            having had the smaller version of the same hull you will not be happy with nor get a decent wave out of 900-1100 in the rears imo. our 22ve had the 200lb rear tanks, aftermarket chpthril jumbo enzo style sacs and with a light crew of only 4 we really needed another 400lbs in the rear. your boat will need more on top of that. we didn't really miss the storage that much and you make do. it didn't eat up all the under seat, just 2/3. the factory setup was 600lbs in the corners and surfing was a joke. at 2ft longer I would bet 900lbs will be the same story.

as you think capacity stickers, our old z3 had the pro system installed from factory at 2300lbs. our new r23 is same hull and it now has 3000 stock so take them with a grain of salt. I would not think twice about putting 3k in your boat but we also have almost a grand in lead and bet you will need or want 4000 once you get going. my advice is spend the money once.
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I have a 09 22ve. Currently running 1550lbs on the port side (Chpthril's 1200lbs sac, 250lbs hard tank underneath, 100lbs lead under the corner of the seats in front of hard tank). I then have another 100-150lbs of lead under the observers seat as I've removed the cooler (massive waste of space). 11.4 mph Taps 3-4 plus a wakeshaper on the opposite side. Starboard is approx 800lbs and running listed to the rub rail.

You could get away with less but as a surfer you then need to have more skill and potentially a longer board to stay back there. Load'er up!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far!

Comment

Just look at it like this. You’d probably have to spend another 80K minimum to get a comparable “modern” surf boat.
                  You’re saving tons of money

Comment

You want at least a thousand pounds in each rear locker and 5-600 in the bow.
                    You won’t always have them all full as that boat makes a better wave slightly listed even with a shaper. Fill the surf side and bow then put about 70-80% in the offside rear. You can tweak the bow weight, speed, and TAPS setting to get the desired wave.
                    I personally ride any where from 11.4-12.2 mph and taps 3-5 depending on the side you’re surfing. Goofy wave likes higher TAPS number and more bow weight. More speed, more bow weight, lower TAPS number will all lengthen the wave but reduce the height.
                    If you don’t want to lose your storage space under the cockpit seats then do exactly as you originally said but get as close to a thousand pounds as you can with the bags.
                    Put a couple hundred pounds of lead (wake ballast) underneath the bags to make up for the weight. That’s what I did on my 22VE and I love the wave.

Comment

Another note, you can always fold/roll the enzo sacks up so they don't fill under the seats.
                      in my 23v if we had a large crew and needed more storage I'd fold the sack under itself and use them like standard 1000lb bags.

Comment

seo tools access is a powerful SEO tool suite that covers all your SEO needs. The tool offers site crawl, keyword research beyond the market standard, content exploration, and rank tracking. It also offers video tutorials. The user interface is easy to use and has a good user experience. The only drawback to Ahrefs is that its name can be difficult to pronounce. For this reason, it is recommended for beginners and those with limited budgets.

Comment

Working...
                        X