Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Upgrade Ballast Sacs for 2017 R21 / Z21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Upgrade Ballast Sacs for 2017 R21 / Z21?

Hi all. 2 questions:
    #1) I’m trying to confirm the factory ballast in my 2017 R21 / Z1. Does this sound correct for this boat: 1500 lbs in bow (split between 2 hard tanks) and 900 lbs in the rear sacs (450 per side) --2400 lbs total? I want to upgrade my rear bags, but it helps to know what I’m upgrading from!
    #2) I’ve not found a plug-and-play ballast upgrade option (rear) for this boat. Wakemakers suggests their Fly High Tige 84# Custom 1000lb Surf Sacs, but that bag won’t fit in a couple of spots, or it would be so jammed in that I’d worry I’d tear them up. Has anybody put a ballast sac upgrade into this specific boat? If so, what was it /where’d you get it?

As an aside, I already run 750lbs of Wakemaker 50lb lead bags in various places in the boat. It surfs great set up like this, and since boat stays in the water all summer, towing isn’t an issue, I’d just like to have less dead weight when I’m not surfing. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

I should make it clear that I'm looking to replace the factory sacs, not simply add another sac or sacs.

Comment

I (Mikes Liquid Audio) have a custom sac design for the Z1/R21. Its original configuration was for the 2015 plumbing. If the 2017 is the same, it should work. If not, its just a matter of moving/adding ports to accommodate the factory plumbing. I rate them at 1000# for the port side and 900# for the STBD side.

The Fly High W005 will not work well due to the plumbing. That sac was designed for the previous Surf and Pro level ballast, which changed in the 2015 MY. This is why we made the new design.

I do not believe the boat bas 1500# in the bow. 800 at most IIRC. 600# in each rear locker stick in my mind.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have the 17 Z1 Surf XL. Bow has 2 - 400# bags and Rear has 2 - 800# bags total Surf XL 2400#. All bags no tanks on mine.

Comment

Breakout of how much each ballast bags in my R21 holds has been a mystery to me. According to Tige, there are 1640lbs of underfloor ballast and 760lbs of PnP ballast. I took this to mean that Tige considers both the bow bags and the bags under the aft locker floors to be "underfloor". That would make each PnP bag 380lbs. I think I heard from someone that the bow ballast total 400lbs (not 400 each), and that makes sense to me based on how quickly those fill up compared to the PnP bags. With all that, I have a question for Mikes Liquid Audio: is your custom sac for the port side meant to replace the PnP bag? If so, that would be a substantial upgrade over the standard 380lbs bags. If that's the case, I would be very interested since everyone in my family surfs regular.

Comment

just_driving

My custom sac design for the Z1/R21 would predate Tige offering subfloor and plig-n-play. With that said, I can do a custom sac for any boat, I just need some details like locker dimensions, number of port/hose connections and their locations.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Strongly encourage anyone considering a ballast upgrade to go through Mikes Liquid Audio (chpthril on here). Mike will steer you straight, provide outstanding customer service, and is a HUGE supporter of the Tige community (including a sponsor of the West Coast Tige Owners Reunions).

Comment

Working...
              X