R21 Ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R21 Ballast

Just picked up a new R21 a few weeks back and love it. But I am already thinking about adding more ballast. I have been surfing behind it but don’t love the wave. Looking for any tips or suggestions.

What year?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What is your ballast setup? Do you have the L shaped bags in the rears that go forward under the seats? Are you running any lead ballast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2019. It’s a factory setup of 2,400 lbs. No lead. I believe we are running 1500 lbs between two hard tanks in the bow and 450 lbs soft sac in each rear compartment.

I have found running 50 to 60 percent ballast in the bow, 100 percent in the port aft, 50 percent in starboard aft make the optimal wave with what I am working with. With the Tap at 3 or 4 and the surf tab at 8 to 10. Playing with speeds between 10.3 and 10.8. I prefer surfing off taller waves. No matter what I do with ballast it seems like I can’t get the damn think big enough for my liking. Totally surfable, just looking for more wave.

Thinking of adding 745 lb L shaped XL WakeMAKERS bagbusters in the aft and removing the factory 450s.

Comment

Recommend reaching out to chpthril (he posted above) for the upgraded bags, and add lead. Reach out to https://www.leadwake.com/

Comment

I run quite a bit more than the factory setup and actually just ordered a little bit more.

After all factory is full I've added (2) 350lb bags on the seats and an 800lb on the floor. I'll be adding (2) 275lb bags to the bow as well for next trip out

​​​Justed a video on this topic...

​​​​​​

Comment

I agree with DP

I have a R23 and followed great advice from the vets on this forum last year and in general the R23 needs about 900lbs in lead with the 3000lbs of water ballast.....I attached a link to previous post. Lots of reading. The R21 is very similar hull as the R23, so setup wise I’d assume the same works, but with just a little less weight is needed to sink a shorter boat. Executive summary. Load up the lead in the back.....I personally put about half midship and half on surf side in the back and drain off opposite side bow to 60-70%

2019 R23 ballast setup?
              https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Comment

With surf tab at 8-10 you arent getting much plate engagement, which means you are more dependent on ballast only to get all your angles dialed.
                What kind of wave do you like?? Longer pocket or big and steep?? What do you want more of out of your wave??

Comment

I prefer a big and steep wave. I am looking for it be just taller overall. I can get super long wave but I much rather surf something taller.

Comment

Everyone has their own experience, but from what I've seen if you run a little more rear biased weight and get the nose up a bit more the wave will get a bit taller, but the pocket will shorten up. I would maybe drop a few more pounds of front ballast and move Taps plate to 5 or 6 and you might find the wave getting a bit more lippy....just something to try. I also find taps3 at 4 is money, but you didn't mention if you are 19 or 20. I havent had a chance to surf the new Parker/GSA system<sad face>

Lead or other additional throwover bags as other have mentioned helps too.
                    Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-25-2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Csl83 View Post

I have found running 50 to 60 percent ballast in the bow, 100 percent in the port aft, 50 percent in starboard aft make the optimal wave with what I am working with..
                      i agree with Freeheel4life.....you could also try adding water to the rear starboard to get more weight in the back, but doing so will cause you to loose the roll you need. To get the roll back, try reducing the front starboard % and raising the front port....if possible, try to keep the rears full and use the bow ballast to control pitch and roll.

I might try 100/0 bow and 100/100 in rears and tweak from there.

Comment

I personally like my wave taller in height and shorter in length since I'm a bigger guy. Some of our riders like the complete opposite. For my wave I run rear heavy and slightly light on surf side bow weight. For longer I'll even out the bow weight and bring the bow back down

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMan210 View Post
                          For my wave I run rear heavy and slightly light on surf side bow weight. For longer I'll even out the bow weight and bring the bow back down
                          Did you mean slightly light on non-surf side bow? Light on surf side would roll the boat in the wrong direction.....

Comment

You're correct. Bow Light on the NON-SURF side

Comment

Working...
                            X