2005 24V Surf Device & Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 24V Surf Device & Location?

I've read through a lot of posts on here, and haven't seen any specific to surf devices and locations, so I'm starting one, hope I'm not duplicating another thread. I have an 05 24V with 2 X 1100s in the back and a bow sack up front. I also have a couple lead bags in the cooler. The last 2 years I was running an original Mission Delta and placing it either right above or below the ridge a foot or two from the back with varying degrees of success. I switched to a Nauticurl this year and I can't decide if I like it better than the Delta or not. The first couple times I used it, I placed it about as far back as possible above the ridge which also happens to be where the "24V" sticker is. The wake was tall but not quite as long as before, it was very consistent "didn't wash out at all on turns", however, it device was prone to not staying put, so we had to retrieve it several times which is annoying. Yesterday I placed it below the ridge, about as far back as possible, it was stuck hard there so no losing the device problems, however, the wave was a bit smaller and it did wash out on turns.

What devices is everyone else using? Anyone had good luck with the Nauticurl? Suggestions on placement? I still have the Delta, should I use them both on each side of the ridge? Any input will be appreciated, I feel like I'm so close to a perfect setup, just need to dial in the surf device.

I have the same boat as you and I use a nauticurl. I place it as far back as possible & under the lip/step on the side of the hull. Well made product and very comparably priced ut I have been wanting to try that giant liquid force shaper. I generally start evenly weighted with 1100# bags in each rear locker and the IBS (about 400#ish) in the front. Taps start right in the middle and speed is set about 10.2 mph. We usually have 5+ people in the boat, everyone sitting on surf side. I then mess with taps and drain water opposite the surf side weight to list the boat slightly if needed to get the desired wave. up speed and taps toward "ski" = longer but shorter & less powerful wave. Slower speed and taps towards "wakeboard" generally gives a taller wave with more push but shorter and a smaller pocket.

One tip - the natuicurl floats but the foam is black and hard to see in the water. I lost my first one so I painted the foam floating part bright red so it is easy to see if it falls off the side of the boat into the water.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have been using the nauticurl on my 22Ve for a few years getting a tall wave but shorter than I would like. I have been placing it about an inch below the water line aimed down where I can get good mounting. You have to find a place where both suction cups get a solid mount, which ends up being by the 22Ve stickers above the ridge line. A few weeks ago we lost it after forgetting to take it off so I bought the Edge online pro and the Edge Mega. The Edge in-line design seems to be working better below the ridge line. I have placed it as far back as possible to about 2 feet forward. Far back aimed down seems to give me the best results. Wave is about the same height as the nauti but longer. I’m still trying to get it dialed in. The swim deck is interfering more with the edge then the nauti did so I’m seriously considering building a smaller deck. Anyone else using these? The Mega looks way too big for my boat. Has anyone else tried the Mega? I’ll try to post some pictures later.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin22ve View Post
        The swim deck is interfering more with the edge then the nauti did so I’m seriously considering building a smaller deck.
        I had this same issue and built my own swim deck out of Epe (like teak) wood last year. There is a thread on this site about it somewhere.

Comment

Thanks. I’ve seen a few threads on it. Did you notice a difference on the wave?

Comment

I have tried a bunch of shapers, they all work basically the same. I use a nauticurl on my 24v. Below the step and as far back as possible.

I fill surf side 100% (1800ish pounds) Then offside 50-75%. I run both bow bags full.
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by Martin22ve View Post
              Thanks. I’ve seen a few threads on it. Did you notice a difference on the wave?
              ya it helped clean up the face of the wave a bit but I think it looks way cooler than the old fiberglass one. that was the main reason why I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson709 View Post
                I have the same boat as you and I use a nauticurl. I place it as far back as possible & under the lip/step on the side of the hull. Well made product and very comparably priced ut I have been wanting to try that giant liquid force shaper. I generally start evenly weighted with 1100# bags in each rear locker and the IBS (about 400#ish) in the front. Taps start right in the middle and speed is set about 10.2 mph. We usually have 5+ people in the boat, everyone sitting on surf side. I then mess with taps and drain water opposite the surf side weight to list the boat slightly if needed to get the desired wave. up speed and taps toward "ski" = longer but shorter & less powerful wave. Slower speed and taps towards "wakeboard" generally gives a taller wave with more push but shorter and a smaller pocket.

One tip - the natuicurl floats but the foam is black and hard to see in the water. I lost my first one so I painted the foam floating part bright red so it is easy to see if it falls off the side of the boat into the water.

Hope this helps!
                Hhmm.... We surf at 10.5, maybe I'll mess with the speed a little. My taps gauge doesn't give me a precise reading, it's either all the way to surf or ski, i believe the plate is moving but it's a guessing game if I'm not all way in one direction. I tend to run it towards ski as it seems to clean up the wave, but maybe I'll mess with that too. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. Backing off the weight on the non-surf side is something I used to Do, but ultimately decided it was costing me too much size in the wave, but that was with the Delta, maybe I'll try again with the Nauti. Honestly, having the Nauti above the lip seemed to make a better wave, but it keeps coming off which is too annoying to live with, we don't have that much time to surf in the evenings, so don't want to waste time retrieving the device. It sticks hard below the lip... Haven't lost it yet in that position. I'm not against buying another device, so if anyone comes across one that is significantly better I'd be interested to know.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson709 View Post

Hope this helps!
                  I bought and use the giant liquid force shaper on our 24ve with great success. Always placed below the lip as far back as possible. Even with only 800lbs in each rear locker and 500 up front we get a decent wave. We will see what happens when we put 1100's in the rear lockers once they come... I've never used other wave shapers on the 24ve to have something to compare it to though.

Comment

I make some that work great on those boats and are far more affordable than any of those. I’ve owned a Delta and a Nauticurl that I’ve since sold. Been using my design for 4 years and sold a bunch to people all over. Drop me a message if you’re interested in trying one. They work great, are durable, and float.
                    $150 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. $145 if you’re in CO, $135 if you pick it up in Denver.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jetdriver; 09-08-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Have you thought about making a smaller one to mimic the surf mode one?

Comment

The 24v swim deck needs to be cut down. https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/sho...d=1#post589234

Here it shows how I cut mine down, I use a nauticurl and surf from 11.5-12.5 and taps from 3-5, depending on the crew etc...
                        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Try this monster!

Comment

Originally posted by AJMichael View Post
                            Try this monster!
                            Needs to be lower.

Comment

It ended up getting dropped a little lower, this was first round of testing on my boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X