This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to post large pictures

I bet you have noticed some people post some pretty big and nice looking pictures on the site.

But how can they do that if you can only post a 600x700 picture? Well, they use another website to host the images rather then uploading them to tigeowners.com.
    Photobucket is a place where you can upload, store and display your photos in an electronic album.
    -Moki

1) You need to register with photobucket.com. This is FREE and simple to do.

Now photobucket is not the only photo-hosting site, flickr.com, shutterfly.com, just to name a few, are also similiar.

2) Once you have created your photobucket.com account you can now upload your pictures to the site. Go to my album and there you will see 3 bars with browse next to them. When you click on browse a new window will open showing the contents of you computer, search for the picture you want and click open. It will show you the file name of the picture and ask you if you want to add a title on the line. Once you have selected the photos you want (it only lets you do 3 at a time unless you use the "bulk uploader") press upload. This will only take about a minute or two, depending on how many pictures you chose and the size of them.

3) Now your pictures are in the album and its time to insert them to your tigeowners post. *It is easiest if you have both tigeowners.com and photobucket.com open at the same time.* Below every picture, there are 4 bars. Click inside the IMG code bar, it should give you a little note that says "copied".

4) Paste the IMG code into the post you are writing. It will appear as [IMG]http..............[IMG]. When you post the message the image will appear.

But this sounds like alot of work, whats the advantage over just the normal tigeowners.com uploading?

This allows bigger, higher resolution pictures
    Its easier then resizing pictures
    You wont have a whole lot of resized pictures on your computer
    This allows you to type above, below, and beside the pictures

One other thing I did, was make my album on photobucket.com PRIVATE. I did this by going to account options clicking on "edit my album settings" and switching it from PUBLIC to PRIVATE.

If you have any problems please write to me!
    Last edited by zad0030; 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Just remember that the pictures will need to be displayed on computers that they have dial in internet service. High resolution pictures are great but just think about the person that wants to view a thread and there is a hugh picture file that needs to be downloaded over a 56K modem. It would take A LOT of time to download.

p.s. Not everyone has the ability to obtain broadband internet access.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
      Just remember that the pictures will need to be displayed on computers that they have dial in internet service. High resolution pictures are great but just think about the person that wants to view a thread and there is a hugh picture file that needs to be downloaded over a 56K modem. It would take A LOT of time to download.

Good point
      Common Sense is not so Common
      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

dial-up??? Maybe you shouldn't be posting as much
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

What's dial-up? I think I read about that in a history book

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
            What's dial-up? I think I read about that in a history book
            Look at the time of your post, were you having a hard time sleeping or what?

Comment

Other benefits of using photobucket, picasaweb, ofoto, .mac, snapfish, etc. are:

1) Minus WakeWorld all Bulletin Boards allow you to use the embeded image and some require it
              2) Backup of your image if your HD crashes
              3) Can order digital prints
              4) Share with non-tech friends and family
              "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
              "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Yes, I started working on a project and couldn't stop and then did a little Tigeowners surfing to get sleepy....errr, not that you guys/gals are boring.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                  dial-up??? Maybe you shouldn't be posting as much
                  I definitely don't have dial-up but I am sure other registered owners might have dial-up internet access.

Comment

I definitely don't have dial-up but I am sure other registered owners might have dial-up internet access.
                    Dude, you've been spending waaaaay to much time in Cali because you're starting to spend time worrying about how to protect people from themselves, which pretty much reduces our ability to enjoy life to the lowest common denominator.
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Have you guys tried this with Snapfish? I cannot figure out where to get the [IMG] tage from. I right click and get a long link for the location of the pic but that does not work when I attempt to preview it.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinSouthSide View Post
                        Have you guys tried this with Snapfish? I cannot figure out where to get the [IMG] tage from. I right click and get a long link for the location of the pic but that does not work when I attempt to preview it.
                        Photobucket is DESIGNED to do what you are doing with it. It is designed to host and post. Snapfish is not. The company I wrote the software for, eventpix, is more like snapfish. We actually go to great lengths to NOT allow you to do this.

The reason to prevent it, is the photographer wants to sell the pictures. So they don't want people to have links to download or put up anywhere.
                        http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                          Dude, you've been spending waaaaay to much time in Cali because you're starting to spend time worrying about how to protect people from themselves, which pretty much reduces our ability to enjoy life to the lowest common denominator.
                          No, not really. I did have to deal with this very issue with the various farmers that were attempting to obtain PDF documents related to water quality issues. Some times the documents would be too large and it would take them 15 minutes to download. In the mean time, they would call me and ask me why they were not able to obtain the document. Eventually I found out that they had dial up and at that time I would have to calculate how long it would take them to download the entire thing.

In other words, my old job had a huge policy change because of these farmers.

Comment

Thanks Ragboy, that makes sense. I am going to check out Photobucket one of these days. Unfortunately like so many of the good internet sites this is now blocked at the office so I cannot fiddle with it while I am procrastinating my work. I can only post on this site.

Comment

In other words, my old job had a huge policy change because of these farmers.
                              Understood. However, I doubt we have many farmers. Furthermore, you generally wouldn't be on this site if you had dial-up.

Comment

Working...
                              X