Drysuit recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drysuit recommendations?

Matt's awesome winter riding pictures has me interested in getting back on the board earlier this year. Would like to have some feedback about which type of drysuit to use, which manuf, sizing, what you wear under it to stay warmer, etc. I am on Center Hill lake in middle TN. In march and april you can have mid 50's water temp and 70-80 air temp.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Do you live on a farm?

Comment

The drysuit I have is the Bare Ultra Dry. I bought it for 250.00 total, that includes shipping. I bought it from the guys at http://www.grizzly-sports.com

There is also the Oneill Boost Drysuit which is 350.00 -375.00. I generally like Oneill products but have heard much better reviews about the Bare then the Boost. I ride with a few people that have the boost and both of there suits tend to leak a lot, especially around the neck. However, all suits will leak if you take a hard enough fall. I haven't had any problems with mine and I am very happy with the comfort and quality.

I usually wear some sweat pants (usually Polar Fleece since it repels water easy) and a thick sweat shirt. Then I wear my vest on top of my clothes and underneath my suit. It depends mainly on how cold it is. I also bought some dry suit gloves for 15.00 which make your riding much more comfortable and warm. The drysuit itself is very warm, I have to partially take it off after riding since you will sweat a lot. Some people will think we are crazy when we ride in the winter but they have no idea how surreal the water can be, I also remind them its Texas too!

Comment

Matt:

How about your feet? Don't they get cold?

Saulo

Comment

Originally posted by smendez
          Matt:

How about your feet? Don't they get cold?

Saulo
          Yes, if you get yanked out of your bindings. If you leave them on while riding youll never notice. The bindings almost act as an insulator. But the minute they come off your feet they are cold. The are also hard to put back on in the cold water, the bindings become real stiff and dont have a lot of flex.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Matt. In the latest issue of WBM there is a piece dedicated to cold water riding but only discusses the neoprene suits. Is the drysuit much better? and why?
            My new boat is also equipped with a heat blower, I hope this makes a big difference as well. Anyone have experience with these?

Nice to see you are watching Lee. I will be sure to only speak highly of my local dealer.

Comment

I have 2 different Drysuits, the O'Neil Boost and a the Bare Sahara Neoprene Drysuit. I never wear the Neo drysuit any longer. I wear only the O'Neil as it is a "baggy" style and is much more comfortable. I wear sweatpants and a long sleeve Tee underneath, and I'm very warm in 50 degree water. The Neo style suit is a bit too restricting, and not as easy to ride in. I have never had any water in the O'Neil, and only slight trickles from hard falls in the Bare.

My hands and feet do get a bit cold, but only after I am done and take off the bindings and full finger ski gloves. That is when a warm water shower is the best accessory on the boat. It warms your hands and feet up immediately, and then when I'm back in the boat I put on socks. 50 degree water and air are no longer an issue. I've even boarded in colder this year with no adverse effects from the weather. Once you get a drysuit, you'll learn that riding in winter is better, as the water is flatter, and there are a lot fewer boats to disturb your peace.

Comment

On top of what flackpack said, the biggest difference is staying dry. With a dry suit your completely dry compared to a cold, wet wetsuit. Its not fun being wet while underway in the boat.

Once I got my drysuit I never use my wetsuit anymore.

Comment

I'll second what the others have said. This is the third year with my Bare drysuit and I love it. I'm 6'-0", and about 190# and have the medium/large size. You want it somewhat baggy so you can layer clothes if needed still have room to move easily. I've shared my suit with someone 6'-5" and 5'-5" and it still did the trick for them

We wakeboard all winter with the water in the low 50's. If there is a little sun, the air is useually in the low 60's or higher and wear a tee shirt and shorts under it. After a bad fall we might get a little water around the neck or sleeve, but it is no biggie.

The feet get just a little numb and with gloves on the hands, there is no problem. The winter time is the best- lake is quiet, fewer boats and better water.

Comment

Working...
                  X