What's the best hand held VHF Radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best hand held VHF Radio?

I was looking at Hand Held VHF radios on West Marine and really liked the Icom 72. It had great reviews, however it was $200. Does anyone have a better CHEAPER recommendation that actually works? We use them in Lake Powell and they can be really spotty if they don't have a strong signal.
    Temporarily not a TO, but not gone forever... RID22 (Formerly K***k'n Futs!)

I have wanted one as well. I have heard the hand helds are not sufficient for that kind of distance and you need one of those big mounted radios. So I have neither.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We use a couple of the Uniden Atlantis handhelds and they seem to work pretty good. I've used them in the mountains and gotten 3+ mile range that was not line-of-site. $99.00 and splash proof.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=null
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have a hummingbird vhf5plus. They are discontinued but can be found for about $90. Its never failed to get in touch with Vessel Assist when I needed a tow.
        Let it be!!!

Comment

We have had people with all different units. We owned a house boat for 5 years and we put the biggest antena we could buy on it and it was still spotty. I have been told vhf radios need to be in line of sight. The canyon walls raise havoc on radio signals. Good luck in your search, even the state parks boats have a difficult time comunicating in the deep narrow canyons of Lake Powell.
          My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Original Wing Nut View Post
            We have had people with all different units. We owned a house boat for 5 years and we put the biggest antena we could buy on it and it was still spotty. I have been told vhf radios need to be in line of sight. The canyon walls raise havoc on radio signals. Good luck in your search, even the state parks boats have a difficult time communicating in the deep narrow canyons of Lake Powell.
            I wondered if VHF was line of site. I think I might try out the ICOM 72 if I'm going to try one. It has the best reviews. I've been out there with other peoples unidens and west marine brands and they never worked well. If it actually works I'll let everyone know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuck'n Futs! View Post
              I think I might try out the ICOM 72 if I'm going to try one. It has the best reviews. If it actually works I'll let everyone know.
              Please let us know. I want to know.

Comment

Any news yet?
                Did you get one? Or does anyone else have any experience using one?

I want to use one to communicate with the houseboat at Lake Powell.

Comment

My trip was cancelled an hour before I left last year. I'll let you know how it goes on this summers Powell trip.

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

Since I bought the Jet Skis, I have been looking more closely at these. I think it is the best one I have found for the money.
                      6W power
                      Floating/submersible
                      Li-ion battery
                      GPS receiver

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...3&classNum=542

Comment

ICOM makes the best, then standard Horizon is right behind them
                        they receive excellent but sending on any hand-held is so-so, unless plugged into an antenna
                        HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED
                        switchbait.com

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X