Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB - ZUP Board

Guys,

I'm struggling to get my kids (9 & 7) up on their Space Odyssey. Primarily struggling with flipping the board to their feet - but also the balancing. If I'm in the water and hold the board for them - we are 90% there until it goes out from under them.

I'm thinking that maybe they need to get comfortable with the idea of standing behind the boat on something like a ZUP board. Does anyone have one they are ready to part with?

If not - I'm open to other ideas to get these kids up!

TIA!

Chris

Zup if can get one is perfect... get comfortable back behind the boat.

Comment

WTB - ZUP Board

If flipping board is main challenge, use a water mat a few/several times until they feel the motion. Usually after a 2-10 good watermat starts they’ll be able to do deep water.

Sit on the edge, feet on board, board will already be nearly flipped. Someone in the water can help tip board if need be/talk/comfort.

Can also use a tube, but that tends to be too high off water to simulate the right feel imho.

Comment

We have a Zup and it's nice and stable to get them comfortable back there. They started on their knees, and are about confident enough to stand.

To be honest, the adults have just as much fun with it. I can pop up on it from sideways, not the easiest. We have a lot of fun bodysurfing with it, and if we hang on to the rope, barrel rolls are a blast.

We got ours from Amazon I believe.

Comment

All good input - appreciate it guys!

Comment

To me teaching depends water starts are largely about timing, unless your teaching them on a board that’s massive for them. I start by having them sit on the sun deck in the crouched position, have them out stretch there arms, grab both there hands and slowly pull them up. Emphasize what they are unconsciously doing with their weight and balance as you pull them to their feet. It’s the exact same motion.
            After that put them in the water and tell them to float on the vest in roughly the same position as before, heels on the board closer to the edge, wait for the line to tension up and don’t try to stand up, concentrate on pushing the heels down and getting the board flat on their feet. Keep the knees bent and stay crouched until they feel the board crewtingblift under them.
            Just as critical is the part where the driver plays. It really helps to pull them slowly at first waiting to see the moment that they start to get the board under before applying any sort of surf power. Keeping tension on the line is key but they need to know to let the boat do the work just like they let you pull them up to their feet on the sundeck.
            I’ve yet to not get anyone up explaining and doing it this way, kids and adults. Usually kids are easier to teach as adults try to muscle their way out of the water.

Comment

Working...
            X