WTB Kids Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB Kids Board

I'm looking to get my son a surf board for next year - he will be 6 when the season starts. If anyone has a board they would be willing to let go of, please let me know!

Advice on the best kids board would be appreciated as well!

I have no experience with buying kids boards, but I would think you would want to buy something cheap as he's going to grow out of it quickly.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=17721

Comment

Another vote for the Phase 5 Scamp. We found a used one this year - older version with a single 1" fin. Was a bit loose as our kids tried to learn to ride wireless. Replaced the fin with a 2", and they really liked it. (They also got some tips from pro riders, which made a huge difference.)

Comment

Awesome! thanks for the information!

Yeah the Scamp has been on top of the short list for sure. Price is definitely a factor for that reason - hopefully someone has one that has been out-grown!!

Comment

Anyone heard anything about these Victoria ones?
          http://calmarinesports.com/wakesurf-...ebut-grom.html

I did a double take on the price.... $175. Being wood, I wonder if it would be easier for a kid to get up on.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

phase 5 scamp is a great place for kids to start.

Comment

I looked at those Victoria's as well Stingreye - I don't know anyone that has one though....175 bucks isn't bad...

Another vote for the Scamp!

Comment

The Debut and Debut Grom make it easy for beginners to get up and catch their first wave. The rail on the boards locks in and makes the ride extremely stable which is a big complaint we get from fist time surfers. The all wood board is easy for smaller riders to flip up to their feet and absorbs choppy water really well.

The board just wants to get on plane and surf. The rails want to lock in and give it a stable ride but you can still get rowdy on it and pull 360's in the pocket and hit shuvs. The board will have some flex to it when trying airs but you can still get a lot of riding life out of these things.

And at below $200 its easy to pick and have a beginner board for kids that will let them progress with their riding and after a season or two depending how quick they grow they can get a bigger more performance driven board.

The newer scamps with the 3 fin options are great boards as well. The cool thing is no two scamps are alike since each has a unique paint job.
                Last edited by StevenM; 12-04-2014, 12:04 AM.
                www.CalMarineSports.com

Comment

Thanks for the information StevenM. That sounds like a pretty good board and for that price I just might have to give it a try.

Comment

Steven's description of the new Debut is on point.

We at Victoria designed the Debut and the Debut Grom to be the easiest board on the market to ride for new riders. The density of the birch makes the board flip up effortlessly for even the lightest riders. The 3/8" rails plus the density lock the board in the wave. A lot of first timers have a problem where they go in and out of the wave, but the Debut keeps even the most unbalanced rider in the face of the wave. While the board has one fin, it feels like it has 7. The wood also absorbs vibrations and cuts through chop like a deep v boat. The rocker has been perfected to be the perfect mix of stability and glide. There isn't an easier board to learn on.

The birch layup is proven as we have been using it for decades in our entry level Skimboards. The boards will last forever.

It's a no risk board for riders looking to get into wakesurfing for under $200. Don't buy this board if you're looking for the highest performing board on the market. Get it if you want to start riding ropeless quick and easy.
                    www.wake.victoriaskimboards.com

Comment

Working...
                    X