Best Marine Stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Marine Stereo

Ok. It's that time. I'm upgrading the stereo in my 21V. The boat came with an upgraded JVC headunit, amp and six speakers. I would like to start with the headunit but I'm not sure which to go with. I've looked at the Clarion XMD3, JBL MR30, JBL MR35 but I know there are several others out there. My only reservation on the Clarion and the JBL MR30 is having to cut the dash opening to fit the 1 1/2 DIN chasis.

What stereo do you have? Would you buy it again?

I'm currently running a Pioneer headunit I've had for years and I seem to pass it down from boat to boat. It sounds awesome but it's not a marine stereo.

Thanks!

chris

sony makes a pretty nice stereo and you can get a wired remote to go with them...

Comment

i like the clarion because they can take water really well, have you seen the ad with them spraying it with the hose. not to mention, my tige' came with the XMD-1 clarion and its awesome, no satelite hook up like teh XMD-3 though.

Comment

I just bought an Alpine head unit but I put my in the glove box so I really don't need the Marine grade unit. I've heard nothing but good things about the Clarion stuff. I did buy the Marine grade Alpine speakers and they are sweeeeeet

Comment

Originally posted by joe8395
          I just bought an Alpine head unit but I put my in the glove box so I really don't need the Marine grade unit. I've heard nothing but good things about the Clarion stuff. I did buy the Marine grade Alpine speakers and they are sweeeeeet

Where do you buy your stuff? Online? Local? I've bought all kinds of stuff from www.etronics.com. But I'm always looking for a better deal.

Comment

I ordered an Alpine CDA9827 since mines going to be in the glove box too, and I've always had excellent experiences with their stuff. As for speakers, I'm installing Polk/MOMO MMC650s- these are the same speakers that Mastercraft is using for an upgrade. I had MM 465 components in my previous truck, running through the same amp (Alpine MRV-307 4 channel) and the sound was phenominal. pics below...
            Attached Files
            Freude am Fahren.

Comment

here's the speakers...
              Attached Files
              Freude am Fahren.

Comment

That's the same head unit I got as well, I bought it at "Tweeter", which is a stereo shop down the street from me. I also got Skylon's Deafcon III's at the LA boat show a few weeks back and will be putting those bad boys on the tower this weekend. 4 6.5 Kicker's.....I certainly won't be sneaking up on anyone this summer at the river.

Comment

Here is 1/2 of what I'm working with
                  Attached Files

Comment

I installed a system last summer in my '96 Pre2000WT and have been very pleased with it so far. I bought the XMD1 head unit and installed it in the glove box and added the wired LED remote next to the TAPS switch. As for the speakers, I went witht the Infinity marine's, (2) 6.5's and (2) 6x9's and one MTX 12" sub. The Infinity speakers are the best for marine applications IMO!
                    1996 Tige Pre2000WT

Comment

The Clarion XMD3 will have a smaller hole than the DIN head units and you will need the filler plate from Clarion to cover the gap. On a 21v I would go with the XMD3 since it is mounted by the steering wheel and out in the open.

Comment

If you go with Sony you get to use these cool wired remotes.
                        Attached Files

Comment

In white also
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bigd...

Did you install your stereo yourself?

I'm doing a sony install and trying to figure what it takes to install the remote in the transom, like what size drillbit...

also do you know of a good place to pic up a remote?

Comment

they were all over ebay, last I checked!
                              Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Working...
                              X