Trailer Brakes - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Brakes - What do you think?

I was surprised to find my tandem axle trailer for my 22Ve has brakes (disc) on only one axle. It feels fine when I tow and I am in favor of less parts to maintain. Just looking for opinion if there is a significant advantage to dual axle brakes or are singles ok?? Also, my intuition would have said the brakes would be on the forward axle, but in fact they are on the rear axle. Thoughts?

I know my trailer has brakes on only one axle. I think it is fairly common.

Comment

only 1 axle on mine...24V
      Life is good...
      Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

Only one axle here, wish mine were disc.

Comment

Trailer Brakes

Brakes on only one axle is common and is in fact required by most states for multiple axle trailers. I special ordered my trailer with brakes on both axles. It required new hubs and a new surge activator. Did I notice a difference? Nope. Just some additional redundancy. Stopping is always good.
          Ray Thompson
          2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
            You can convert them to disc. I did on mine. It helps when backing it up. It electronically locks them out when you activate the reverse lights. No more getting out there and putting in that dongle thing.
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

X2
              Formertigeowners.com
              I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter13 View Post
                X2
                My last boat had a single axle trailer with drum brakes - If I wanted working brakes, I needed to replace the wheel cylinders every year. I hope for a better experience with disc.
                Thanks for all the input guys. And sorry, I just noticed this is in the wrong section

Comment

Why? In stopping power, disc is not better then drum.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                    You can convert them to disc. I did on mine. It helps when backing it up. It electronically locks them out when you activate the reverse lights. No more getting out there and putting in that dongle thing.
                    This has all to do with the actuator (master cylinder/coupler asm) and not the breaks themselves on the axles.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My Boatmate has 4 wheel disc brakes with the surge actuator, comes in handy up here
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        This has all to do with the actuator (master cylinder/coupler asm) and not the breaks themselves on the axles.
                        Now you tell me? Makes sense though. I should have known.
                        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Hmmmmm. The 4 wheel drums on my 65 mustang or 69 Camaro of the past did not hold a candle to the disc brakes on my 06 F250. The truck stops waaaay better than the drum brake equipped cars. Plus there are less moving parts to corrode and seize up. Correct me if I am wrong here and I will feel better about not spending the money to install discs.

Comment

Hmmmmm. The 4 wheel drums on my 65 mustang or 69 Camaro of the past did not hold a candle to the disc brakes on my 06 F250. The truck stops waaaay better than the drum brake equipped cars. Plus there are less moving parts to corrode and seize up. Correct me if I am wrong here and I will feel better about not spending the money to install discs.
                            IMO, the disk brakes on my new trailer are more gradual and have a more linear, normal feel than the disk brakes on my old trailer. On my old trailer I applied the brakes, the boats momentum would smoosh against the cylinder and pull the entire rig backward. The new trailer does not do this when slowing down, I can't feel the brakes "catching" like they used to, they just smoothly help slow the trailer down. They may or may not have the same stopping power but there is better control with the disk brakes.
                            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

My Extreme trailer has discs on all 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X