Installing the new shaft seal/cutlass bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing the new shaft seal/cutlass bearings

Finally got the time to put in the new seal. Pulling the shaft wasn’t bad. I was able to pull shaft into the boat, instead of out the back, so that was pretty sweet.
    Taking advice from jetdriver, I decided to change out the cutlass bearings while I had it apart. They were a little bit of a pain to remove, but not what I expected. I used a socket that just barely fit inside the strut on one side, a larger socket on the other side that the bearings would slide into, and a piece of all-thread. A little anti-seize, washers and nuts, and just wrenched the bearings out. Did the first couple inches without the anti-seize, it was pretty tough. Made all the difference when I added that. New bearings will go back in in the same manner.
    The day came to a screeching halt when I went to put in the new bearings and found I had ordered the wrong OD size. Another wasted week off the water...
    I originally ordered the plastic glide bearings. Has anyone used these? I assume I still put the set screws back in the strut once they are installed? Should I look for brass bearings like the oem’s?

On a side note: I ordered the PSS dripless. Today while thumbing through Glide’s website, I found that they have a dripless seal with the “tee” kit included for much cheaper than the PSS. Looks like the tee only comes in 1-1/4” though (i needed a 1”) The seal itself is still much cheaper than the PSS. If anyone is needing to replace theirs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Working...
X