2007 Tige 22i - Steering cable - changed in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 Tige 22i - Steering cable - changed in 2023

I've changed my steering cable twice since 2007. Dometic now owns the company that makes the cable. The cable is a seastar SSC13417 (17') or SSC13418 (18'). The 18' gives a little longer bend radius under the captains helm. I've used both and each works fine. It's a cable-back mount rack cable. I remove the back rack bolts (4) first. Then remove the nut and bolt from rudder connector (this is more difficult, use stubby rachet) - you need to reach under gas tank full arm length. The large connector (under gas tank) bolt is easy to loosen. Once loosened, tie a "snake" rope to the cable with duct tape in three locations. Then pull the old cable and rope out from the boat. I used a helper to pull the cable from outside the boat on captains seat side. Now, disconnect rope and tape it to new steering cable. snake the new cable back thru the hull with the rope. Reverse procedure and connect nuts and screws. (note - the cover wall near the fire extinguisher can be removed to make this installation easier - its tacked in, you will need to retack as necessary).
Working...
X