Time for a new alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new alternator

So this boat is nickeling (really dollaring) me to death. So I took it in to have two things looked at. First was an oil leak I have had for a while and the second was the knocking sound coming from the tranny. I just got the boat back after this report....

1. The knocking sound was from the iridium spark plugs and the after market distributor cap I put in a while ago while doing a tune up. Evidently, not all D-caps/ rotors are the same even though listed for the MP 5.7L Carb-ed engine. The knock came from the v-drive at idle because the engine wasn't idling well enough from the two non-OEM parts I used. The mechanic put in regular plugs and a new rotor & cap. Problem solved but had to pay for their wisdom (and that doesn't come cheap).

2. The oil leak was coming from a leaky intake manifold gasket. I had a feeling that's what it was but I couldn't tell as the seam looked dry to me. They used oil dye to figure it out. Again, paid for others wisdom and to do what I could have done if I had known.

Now the 3rd issue found....need a new alternator. Current one has bearings going out. It charges fine but it makes one hell of a noise. I've had the boat for a few years now and it's always sounded the same to me so who knew it should have been quieter. You put the engine cover down and you hear nothing. At this point, I told the mechanic I'll get a new one. I couldn't see paying the $380 for him to do another job I could do. I just hope I'm not making another mistake like #1 above....

Don't get me wrong. I am fine with paying someone for what they know and I didn't (or couldn't) figure out. I usually do pretty good when doing things for myself. It's just frustrating and I needed to vent. It's also been a lesson learned that I should listen to that little voice in my head and just stick with OEM parts.
Working...
X