Sub vs Amp problem diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub vs Amp problem diagnosis

I have a 2010 RZ2 with the original Wet Sounds system installed in it. A WS Syn 6 amp drives the 6 inboard WS 6.5 speakers on channels 1-4, and the WS XS-10FA sub on channel 5. A WS Syn 2 amp drives the 2 tower speakers.

So the problem is the sub stopped working. I checked the resistance on the sub as well as the movement of the cone, and all checked out. I unhooked all wiring and re-hooked it back up to the amp, changing from channel 5 to channel 6. After messing with settings, it came on and worked like it should for the remainder of the weekend (a few back). We hit the lake again for Labor Day, and low and behold, nothing from the sub again??? All other speakers working fine as usual.

So I know just enough to be dangerous, but not sure how best to diagnose whether the problem is the sub or the amp. Odd that amp channels 1-4 would be working flawlessly, but not 5 or 6. I've adjusted everything from the gain to frequency, etc. with no luck.

Could someone walk me through what to check?? Can I check the output from the sub channel with a voltmeter? What setting would I measure? DC Volts? What about the sub? I read you can hook a 9V battery to a speaker and it will hum if it's good?? Is there a better way to test the sub speaker?

Thanks in advance for any advise or assistance!!!

Scott
Working...
X