Rockville Audio Anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockville Audio Anyone???

Did a search on the forums and found nothing. Looking to upgrade our stereo but will be on a fairly tight budget. Most likely I am not going to touch the tower speakers but would like to upgrade the in boat speakers and add an extra amp and a subwoofer.

These speakers and amps seem very powerful have cool LEDs built in, and very reasonably priced. The prices almost seem suspect I like the idea of the PA function that comes with most of the amps as well. Amazon reviews seem good but I was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience with this brand?

Thanks,
    Kyle

"Good electronics are not cheap and cheap electronics are not good"

I do not have personal experience with their amps and speakers, but when you overtly advertise grossly over rated outputs, I clock out real quick. Im done. id be willing to bet that in a bench test, their output is 1/4th of what they advertise. Their speakers are obvious open-tooling and I bet their amps are too. Meaning, they source them through a common build house that supplies a dozen other brand labels. To prove this, go look at some Pyle tower speaker pods.

Another saying, I see time to time on the forums, "buy once, cry once"
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you would weigh in. I do not have enough knowledge on stereo stuff but I do know the difference between Peak and RMS. I was assuming these might be okay since the RMS ratings still seem very powerful? They also advertise that they are "CEA" rated which I assumed was some sort of trade group or watchdog type of organization that makes sure what is advertised is actually true? I am guessing not...

I have had experience with Pyle and they are not good quality at all. The sound gets heavily distorted at high volume and even produced a hissing sound.

Comment

The RXM-F3 is a 4 channel high power amplifier with 1,600 Watts peak output, 800 Watts RMS output (4 x 200 @ 2 Ohms). You can also bridge the amplifier and get 2 x 200 Watts RMS @ 4Ohms. The CEA-2006 compliant rating is 65 x 4 @ 4 Ohms and 95 x 4 @ 2 ohms<1% THD. Most brands do not use CEA compliant ratings because quite simply they do not want you to be able to compare their amps to other son the market.
        lets parse this statement right from their site. When you lead with peak, you are trying to make the amp specs look better to the consumer. These are unrealistic and you usually see this output right before the magic smoke comes out. If you've ever been around racing, a driver will tell you the car was a rocket, right before the engine blew.

The do list the CEA, but look at their 2 ohm "rms" rating, its 110% higher. How did they bench test that amp in order to get a number thats 110% higher then the industry testing method? Its easy, if thats your goal.

65 @ 4 and 95 @ 2, seem realistic, based on the amp fusing. Its hard to cheat amp draw. There is no magical way to make an amp produce big power without drawing big power. There are more efficient and less efficient ways, but no magical ways. An amp fused @ 60A can only make so much wattage on the output side.

Lets talk weight and heat. Amps produce heat as a byproduct of converting 12V DC into AC volt music. Amps need heatsinks to dissipate that heat. A light weight amp either is skimping on the heatsinks or not producing the advertised power. The former leads to an early death of the amp.

We typically see with these price point amps, is very cheap controls on the front end. Example, you may think you tuned it to 120Hz based on the printing around the dial, but the POTs are so off that you could be anywhere from 50 to 200 Hz.

How secure are the RCA ports? Are they held on by anything more then just the legs soldered to the board? This is a failure point on a boat.

CEA is an industry standard for testing, but their is no enforcement of what or how you can advertise. it simply means this is what an amp produced under this test, so you can compare it to another that used the same test. Its almost comical they they publish their CEA spec, then try to claim 110% higher in the real world.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for all of the info, especially the details of the testing and the CEA power vs. their advertised RMS power. I will be sure to stay away from these guys.

Comment

if the price fits your budget, they're are as good as all the others using the same level of gear, boss, pyle, etc. Just need to manage the expectations if you go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post

lets parse this statement right from their site. When you lead with peak, you are trying to make the amp specs look better to the consumer. These are unrealistic and you usually see this output right before the magic smoke comes out. If you've ever been around racing, a driver will tell you the car was a rocket, right before the engine blew.

The do list the CEA, but look at their 2 ohm "rms" rating, its 110% higher. How did they bench test that amp in order to get a number thats 110% higher then the industry testing method? Its easy, if thats your goal.

65 @ 4 and 95 @ 2, seem realistic, based on the amp fusing. Its hard to cheat amp draw. There is no magical way to make an amp produce big power without drawing big power. There are more efficient and less efficient ways, but no magical ways. An amp fused @ 60A can only make so much wattage on the output side.

Lets talk weight and heat. Amps produce heat as a byproduct of converting 12V DC into AC volt music. Amps need heatsinks to dissipate that heat. A light weight amp either is skimping on the heatsinks or not producing the advertised power. The former leads to an early death of the amp.

We typically see with these price point amps, is very cheap controls on the front end. Example, you may think you tuned it to 120Hz based on the printing around the dial, but the POTs are so off that you could be anywhere from 50 to 200 Hz.

How secure are the RCA ports? Are they held on by anything more then just the legs soldered to the board? This is a failure point on a boat.

CEA is an industry standard for testing, but their is no enforcement of what or how you can advertise. it simply means this is what an amp produced under this test, so you can compare it to another that used the same test. Its almost comical they they publish their CEA spec, then try to claim 110% higher in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mikesliquidaudio is the best!
                Last edited by KoolAid; 12-15-2022, 04:20 PM. Reason: originally spam message

Comment

Mikesliquidaudio is the best!
                  Last edited by KoolAid; 12-15-2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

mikesliquidaudio is the best!
                    Last edited by KoolAid; 12-15-2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X