Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Replacing 2nd Battery Deep Cycle Sparking

Hey All,

I am new to boating and bought a 2001 Tige 21V as a starter boat.

The deep cycle battery needed to be replaced, it is kept on the port side in a small compartment in the stern of the boat along with the shower hook up. We use it for the stereo when we are coved out. When I went to take the battery out only the Positive Red cable was connected. The black negative cable is there, but do not think it has been connected in some time, I am assuming it should be for grounding purposes? It is connected to a Perko battery switch 1/2/All/Off.

When connecting the new battery I connected the positive red cable just like it was before. When I connected the Black negative cable I got a large spark from the positive nub which left a burn mark on the nub and literally scared the hell out of me. I was using a wrench, but do not think I made contact with the positive nub. The Perko switch was in the Off position.

I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this before I messed with it again. I followed the negative cable and it looks like it is connected to the engine block. I switched over to the starter battery and the boat started with no issue. Attached are some pictures of what the 2nd deep cycle battery looks like. You can see where the nub was burnt. Also attached is a pic with the negative connection to the block.

Thanks!

Mitch
    Attached Files
Working...
X