2017 RZX Engine Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 RZX Engine Heat

So I’ve got an open ended question because I haven’t owned the boat for long. My mechanic noted that the exhaust pipe coming out of the engine had been “extremely hot” at one point before we bought it. I took the Raptor engine cover off and there was a pretty good amount of bubbling in the paint of the exhaust leading directly out of the engine. Even some blackening on the underside of the engine cover. Without much more information (I’m sorry) is there anything fairly certain to have caused this? If there are 100’s of ways then I understand my lack of further info would be frustrating but I just have no clue as to what happened. Thanks for anything!

Almost certainly the engine overheated due to a failed impeller. Sometimes the engine can stand that heat and be just fine, but a thorough evaluation of the internals would be a good idea. If the oil got too hot and the boat was not lubricated well for a time, then trouble could be on the horizon. A compression test should be done, at a minimum, IMHO. Someone smarter than me would likely have additional suggestions. Rarely the strainer can get plugged with debris and cause an overheat, but failed impeller would be number 1, 2 and 3.

It is a reminder as to why you should change the impeller at least yearly. I change mine with every 50 hour oil change.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Hook the engine to Diacom and it could show the highest temp recorded.

Comment

Working...
      X