Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 24V questions.

Hello all, first post with “new” boat,

My wife and I recently purchased a 2003 24v that needs a little love.
    We have been looking for an affordable surf boat for about 3 years and hope this will be a good boat for our family once we get it sorted and setup. I hope to be surfing by June so I will be working in this beast as much as I can.

I anyone knows anything at all about this boat please chime in. I will be very great full. I bought it in North Carolina and drug it over the mountains to its new home on Boone Lake in Tennessee.

The backstory: The seller had some throttle troubles and a shop couldn’t get parts to repair it so he put it on Facebook priced to sell. We were told he was the second owner and the original was some kind of race car driver that bought it new in NC. The TAPS system isn’t working, one cushion (rear starboard corner) is missing, supposed to be winterized (hope so, fresh clean oil) and that’s about I know.

Needs:
    Mooring cover
    Rear cushion (see above)
    Bimini top
    Ballast (suggestions appreciated)
    Stereo (nothing over the top)
    Perfect Pass Stargazer (maybe)
    A good weeks worth of detailing
    Wrap (we kinda hate the color)
    Board racks
    Trailer wood replaced
    Trailer tires
    Paint the trailer if we wrap the boat.
    Floor covering (Seadeck, gator step, hydro turf,???)
    Patches in upholstery (it was new then hauled with the drivers seat rolling around and it resulting in about 3-4 punctures)
    ??????

If anyone has any advice on where to find a cover or Bimini or any of the other items listed above I’m all ears.

I have never owned a wake boat but did have an American Skier direct drive slalom boat previously. We live on the lake and bum rides occasionally so we are not total noobs. I am kinda addicted to old stand up jet skis and my wife said no more until we get a surf boat so here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I thought I recognized that boat, ive seen it on person on Lake Norman. I can help with the ballast and audio.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

+1 on ballast and audio from Mike ^

I kind of like the color. Give it a good buff and it may look nice!
      Minty fresh.

Get the number off the prop and post is up, if it doesn't already have ballast it probably needs a different prop if you plan on adding much weight.
      Grab a nauticurl wake shaper as well. (or whichever one you like but the Nauticurl works well on that hull)

Comment

For the cover and bimini, I recommend reaching out to Great Lakes Boat Top. Their website is; https://greatlakesboattop.com/. I have always had good experiences with Ashley; adenton@greatlakesboattop.com

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Congrats! I thought I recognized that boat, ive seen it on person on Lake Norman. I can help with the ballast and audio.
          Thanks for the reply. I believe it spent time on Lake Norman and Badin Lake. I would like to know more about this boats history. I would definitely like to discuss ballast options and maybe stereo too.

I want to plumb in the ballast and hope to keep it all in the storage areas. I hate having sacks in the floor but I will do it if needed. I can sacrifice most of the underwear storage if needed. I really don’t want to add lead if the boat really weighs 4,220 lbs like I read somewhere on here. The dock I plan to buy this spring is a floating dock with a 4,000 lbs overhead lift so I am already pushing it. I am thinking about buying it and doubling the cables with pillows to increase the capacity slightly but haven’t wrote the check yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SONIC View Post
            +1 on ballast and audio from Mike ^

I kind of like the color. Give it a good buff and it may look nice!
            Minty fresh.

Get the number off the prop and post is up, if it doesn't already have ballast it probably needs a different prop if you plan on adding much weight.
            Grab a nauticurl wake shaper as well. (or whichever one you like but the Nauticurl works well on that hull)
            Thanks. A wet sand and buff is definitely needed. The prop will need to be replaced along with the rear tracking fin. They Botha re chipped and bent a little. It doesn’t look like there is a lot of room to upsize the current prop. I will check the numbers this weekend I don’t have room to store the boat at my house except for parking beside the road and I don’t want her stolen yet. Thanks for the wake shaper tip. One friend make a plywood job that mounts to the platform on his Supra. It works great but I’d rather have something semi adjustable to dial it in. I’ll look for one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
              For the cover and bimini, I recommend reaching out to Great Lakes Boat Top. Their website is; https://greatlakesboattop.com/. I have always had good experiences with Ashley; adenton@greatlakesboattop.com
              Thanks. I’ll look them up and see if they have the measurements on file.
              EDIT: I called and was told I needed to have a part number. I will email Ashley. I married an Ashley so I’ve had good luck with them too.
              Last edited by N.Penley; 02-17-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

We have a surf sac for the rear lockers that will extend most of the way under the side seats. They hold 1300# each. With these and a bow sac, you should not need sacs around the passenger area of the boat.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We have a surf sac for the rear lockers that will extend most of the way under the side seats. They hold 1300# each. With these and a bow sac, you should not need sacs around the passenger area of the boat.
                  How much do they run and what does it take to set them up? Drilling holes in a hull isn’t my idea of a good time but I figure that’s what it will take. The storage isn’t much of a concern as long as I have room for fenders, lines, and a place to stash a bag of dry towels or clothes we should be fine. Where are you located? I’m using Tapatalk on my phone and it doesn’t show. If your not far from I-26 I travel it occasionally. PM sent.

Comment

Where are you located
                    15 minutes west of Charlotte, not far off I-85. Where did you pick up the boat? What section of 26 do you run?

Comment

15 minutes west of Charlotte, not far off I-85. Where did you pick up the boat? What section of 26 do you run?
                      The boat came from Aberdeen and the seller was a nice guy but didn’t seem to care a lot about the boat. I believe his kids were more interested and used it more than him but who knows.
                      We enjoyed the drive.
                      My in-laws have a a place in Hilton Head so we take that trip a few times a year. I enjoy the lake much more than the beach so my family goes more than I do.

Comment

What I did to my 24v. They are surf machines. I wouldn't go any smaller then my sacs My posted weight is theoretical, I am sure they hold less. https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...ing-mod-thread
                        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                          What I did to my 24v. They are surf machines. I wouldn't go any smaller then my sacs My posted weight is theoretical, I am sure they hold less. https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...ing-mod-thread
                          Thanks Duffy. Ill subscribe and read through this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
                            Surfing a boat listed IMO is an old school way to get great waves. but things have come a long way since 2011 with suck gates, slapers, tabs ECT. lots of ways other than listing to create great waves. One thing is true for all of them " WEIGHT" in most cases a lot of it. My boat surfs almost equal on both sides and has a larger (what is stock on your boat) swim platform to smooth things out. Welcome to the tige family
                            Thank’s for the warm welcome. I can’t wait to get this ol boat setup to compare to my friends boats. I have been surfing behind a Supra SSV and a Nautique G23. Hopefully I get a similar wave for a fraction of the cost. High hopes? We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by jtryon
                              definitely fit perfect pass/ridesteady/steady pass into your upgrades, you won't be disappointed.
                              Which system is best or most accurate at surf speeds for the money? I know stargazer had good reviews from everyone on the slalom forums a few years ago bot is something better available now?

The boat has the original old PP system but I have no idea if or how well it works. I haven’t even had the boat in the water yet. I’m trying to get a big to-do list together and figure out what I need to spend on first.

Comment

Working...
                              X