2007 22i revival project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 22i revival project

I know this forums pretty quiet as of late but decided to post up my work in progress anyway.

Picked up my 2007 22i a few weeks ago, the owner had a specialty car shop, so from what I know the engine has been well maintained, but the boat sat outside in a coastal environment with a ripped cover so it needs a really thorough clean up.

I knew the trailer was rough and I would need some tires so I began to make the slow drive to find llanteria on my drive back to phoenix

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ejls2dC" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/ejls2dC"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IMG_0568.JPG

Well not 20 minutes later heres what I had to deal with, the studs were seized on and it took me forever to throw a spare on and limp around town on a sunday to find a tire shop. These guys were kind enough to replace with what they had (used decent shape tires). One of the wheels couldnt be removed due to fear of snapping off the studs and being stuck hours from home, so we replaced what we could and rolled the dice.

IMG_0570.JPGIMG_0571.JPG

Can't lie it was a bit of a stressful drive knowing that if that original tire on the seized wheel went out Id be stranded in the desert at night, 12 hours later we were home. If you cant tell the trailer is a galvanized fishing boat trailer, so im on the hunt for a new (used) trailer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by txmxer; 12-19-2021, 05:18 PM.

This project will be a "work on it when I can" type project, but luckily its winter.

On the list:

- New trailer
    - New Upholstery
    - New Carpet or other flooring material (probably carpet for simplicity)
    - Remove tower and get it powdercoated
    - Go through the 'custom' ballast set up with fat sacks and make sure the fat sacks are still sealed and replace any plumbing parts that look old and weathered
    - Probably rewire the sound system: it looks well done but I rather redo it while the boats apart than risk any corrosion problems...we'll see

- Go through the engine, replace all fluids, rotor/cap, plugs, impeller, etc, etc

- Sand and Polish the exterior and interior.

Heres some before and after pics using a shop vac and a wet rag, just a preliminary cleaning:

IMG_0594.JPGIMG_0590.JPGIMG_0587.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0626.JPGIMG_0623.JPG

At this point Im wondering why Im crazy enough to enjoy doing this, but its already starting to look a bit better. Dont mind the upholstery still in place, Im leaving the project in this state for a few weeks so I left those pieces in case any rain water comes in through the cover to protect electronics/engine,etc.

Previous owner had a poor quality and poorly installed rubber decking in place, I pulled it out. Next work day I'll remove the rear fiberglass platform and get started on the most tedious and painstaking part of the project, scrubbing and scraping the old glue and getting a nice floor surface. Im thinking mineral spirits or acetone.

IMG_0713.JPGIMG_0715.JPGIMG_0718.JPGIMG_0719.JPG

Comment

Anyone have a good image hosting site? Losing a lot of photo quality using the one on the forum

Comment

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but there are many others on here who have taken on similar efforts. I can't wait to see the progress and the finished product. Our first boat was a 2004 22i, so I have a soft spot for that model. Good luck sir.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen
          Looks like a good project. Since it has a galvanized trailer it was most likely used in salt water. San Diego Mission Bay?
          The trailer looks like it is in pretty good shape. Maybe just replace both axles? A used trailer to match a direct drive will be a challenge. The axles are more centered to balance the engine being in the center vs. the rear.
          You're spot on, it was used in mission bay. Buying a salt water boat was a huge risk, but the PO mentioned he flushed and used salt away every time before I even asked him and I found an old saltaway flush kit so that makes me feel good.

I did think about it with the trailer, its basically more work than its worth imo, and its such a large trailer its taking up a ton of space in my yard. Ive got a few leads on used trailers, Im ok with adjusting the axles for the weight and adjusting bunks for the hull. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
            Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but there are many others on here who have taken on similar efforts. I can't wait to see the progress and the finished product. Our first boat was a 2004 22i, so I have a soft spot for that model. Good luck sir.
            I sure do, it'll be a fun process along the way. I did a similar restore two summers ago with a Malibu that sat in the desert for 5 years.

Right now im trying to decide if im doing some sea dek type flooring (maybe gel coating the inside and doing actual sea dek) or just going the easy route with carpet. Either way the entire interior and exterior needs to be wet sanded and polished first.

Comment

Any good sites to order parts for the engine maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by txmxer View Post
                Any good sites to order parts for the engine maintenance?
                marineenginedepot.com is Marine Powers' retail page. Just in case you need parts for the engine. 07 is a great year for the 22i.

I see you have cruise control. Be sure to not damage the panel. You can get new internals for the speedset but not the chrome bezel or rubber buttons.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post

marineenginedepot.com is Marine Powers' retail page. Just in case you need parts for the engine. 07 is a great year for the 22i.

I see you have cruise control. Be sure to not damage the panel. You can get new internals for the speedset but not the chrome bezel or rubber buttons.
                  Thanks for the heads up, I ended up ordering one set of parts there. Took a bit of time to track down all the parts numbers for the maintenance parts, longer than it shouldve. I dont plan on removing the gauges as long as they work fine but good to know!

Got a new impeller, oil/filter, plugs, wires, rotor/cap, etc on there way. After that I'll try to run through the diy ballast system and swap some fittings/hoses just to be safe.

Comment

I got sidelined with covid for a week, so I only had the energy to start pulling decals and remove the rear fiberglass step.

I also got some flooring samples, thinking im going to go with the lighter one with black accent. I like the white accent but Im afraid it will stain easily.

The tower is going to a pita, every single stainless piece of hardware is basically seized and fused into the tower.

Going to drain and pull the gas tank this weekend, try to remove the tower if I can get some buddies to help me carry it off the boat, and start cleaning the bilge area and stripping the glue off the deck.

Eventually, I'll figure out the formatting of this forum lol

1E1D3FDE-9AF5-4A3E-A8DA-0BC360B81182.jpeg16D24F8A-5A58-42F3-94EE-2B3377478858.jpeg5A524C9C-24FF-4D4A-A787-4983DCA02D1F.jpegF0CFBDF9-43AD-494C-B31B-D34A27C7643F.jpeg
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by txmxer; 01-15-2022, 01:03 AM.

Comment

txmxer Looking good! Always appreciate a restoration project.

Comment

1DF72DA5-7A31-4A3C-83F7-81C3844C14FF.jpegE6D5D3B1-4A44-454D-A045-11F918C6BC02.jpegA32C98E6-D031-408E-AE39-16D208FFC62E.jpegC57CE939-7A2F-42C1-A8A6-2D092DA8A21E.jpeg Got some work done last weekend, finally took all the decals off. Had some friends come over and help me with the tower. The last support bolt is stripped so I’m letting it soak in penetrating oil a bit before I work it out.

Upholstery got dropped off. Custom boat cover came in this week (super fast considering I ordered it first week of January). All the engine parts came in for a good tune up.

Coming up on a busy few weeks so not much work will get done. STILL on the hunt for a trailer, mom every single one gets sold out from under me or is too expensive.

Comment

Big update: Bought a really nice extreme trailer from a member on here and had it delivered from Colorado via UShip. Super excited about that.

For the bad: this last tower bolt is badly seized, ez out snapped off inside now, I think this one’s going to have to go to a machine shop for removal so trying to find a shop around town.

Also toying with the idea of just getting carpet thrown down instead of the sea dek stuff. Prep work will be easier and the boat will be done faster.

Attached Files

Comment

Maybe it was just a fad but I always liked the miners moss flooring personally. Wouldn't have to glue it down, pulls out easy for when you want to do gatorstep but it looks like heck. Just a thought and others on here who had to live with it would give you real life pros and cons.

Been a long time since I removed one of those towers. Isn't there a nut on the bottom side? Makes me wonder if an impact will break the nut loose enough that you could pry up against the bolt head/tower to get it the rest of the way off.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                              Maybe it was just a fad but I always liked the miners moss flooring personally. Wouldn't have to glue it down, pulls out easy for when you want to do gatorstep but it looks like heck. Just a thought and others on here who had to live with it would give you real life pros and cons.

Been a long time since I removed one of those towers. Isn't there a nut on the bottom side? Makes me wonder if an impact will break the nut loose enough that you could pry up against the bolt head/tower to get it the rest of the way off.
                              I don’t love the miners moss, I did toy with the idea but I like something a little more permanent. We take pretty good care of our boats so even carpet doesn’t get too beat up. Still deciding what to do.

The front tower mounts have a bolt on the underside, the rear is just threaded into the hull with no bolt on the underside unfortunately. That bolt is the only one that’s not broken loose.

Comment

Working...
                              X