Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Perfect Pass not working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pier 121
    Posts
    91
    Boat
    2001 V2300

    Perfect Pass not working

    Yesterday, I noticed the PP isn't working properly. Everything seems normal with it. The paddle wheel is fine and registers proper speed. When I set it - engage the throttle - it beeps like normal, but then it just keeps climbing in speed. If I back off the throttle a little bit, it loses speed and keeps losing speed.

    I tried to change it to RPM and I still have the same problem. It seems to engage normal - but it just wont hold the RPM or speed depending on which one I have set.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    14,572
    Boat
    2008 Malibu Response, Formerly 2003 21i
    Sounds like your servo motor went bad.

    Find the servo motor on the throttle linkage and see if the little black knob on the end is locked or if it turns. If it turns, the servo is ok but you might have a problem with the wires to the servo.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pier 121
    Posts
    91
    Boat
    2001 V2300
    I was able to turn it a bit - do you know how to do a servo test on it - I get confused in the menu...

    Just found the PP user manual - I'll go thru some of the t-shooting steps today and see if I can isolate the problem
    Last edited by jmstige; 06-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    14,572
    Boat
    2008 Malibu Response, Formerly 2003 21i
    You are supposed to turn the knob clockwise until snug, and then 1 full turn counter clockwise. When you turn the system on it should auto tighten, which confirms all electical connections.

    To do a voltage test you hold the Menu and Down keys together as the system turns on. It asks to do a voltage test, press up for yes.

    "Ok Servo Off" Should read between 13-14 volts.

    "Ok Servo On" should read between 12.2-13.2 volts.

    Press menu, It asks "Phase Test =End" Press up.

    And now it checks the individual wires and will tell you which color may be bad.


    ***Im not sure but I think the engine should be running during this test.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pier 121
    Posts
    91
    Boat
    2001 V2300
    Thanks for the quick replies Zad...

    Wish me luck that it's just a loose wire or soemthing and that this doesn't cost me money

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    14,572
    Boat
    2008 Malibu Response, Formerly 2003 21i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmstige View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies Zad...

    Wish me luck that it's just a loose wire or soemthing and that this doesn't cost me money
    Yeah, those servos run about $100.... We had to replace ours on the Tige.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lake Austin and Lake Buchanan, Texas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,505
    Boat
    1999 2100v Limited
    It could also be the computer module. Mine went out within the first month I had it. They replaced it and everything's been great since.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    578
    Boat
    2000 21V 350 Mag MPI
    Quote Originally Posted by zad0030 View Post
    Yeah, those servos run about $100.... We had to replace ours on the Tige.
    If you need a servo here some info on it:
    stepping motor - 5618L-54-03, motor length = 3.03”, 1.8 deg, 4.05v, 1.6A, frame size 23, 6 leads (unipolar), MSWO-71540
    Lin Engineering, 1990 Russell Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95054. Tel: 408-919-0200

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pier 121
    Posts
    91
    Boat
    2001 V2300
    I did the servo test yesterday...


    -------------------------------------------------------------
    13.5 = OK SERVO OFF – The system automatically powers down the servo and measures the supply voltage level. This level with engine running should be between 13.0 and 14 volts. (If the voltage is below 13.0 volts, this display will show it is low. Press menu to continue.

    12.9 = OK SERVO ON – The system turns the servo motor on to measure the power supply and resulting voltage. This level should be between 12.2 – 13.2 with engine running. A reading below 12.1 volts will produce a “LO” indication. Press menu to continue into Servo Motor Test function.

    The difference between the voltage readings of these two tests indicates the condition of the connections. A difference of more than 1.2 volts indicates a potential wiring problem.


    [ PHASE TEST ^ = END ]
    The servo motor will automatically slowly rotate and continually check all phase circuits (Green, Black, Brown, White). If a circuit is bad or “Open”, the screen will change to [ BROWN PHASE ?? ] which means the brown phase wire is open and should be investigated. The brown wire at both plug ends and at servo should be checked and also the motor lead connected to the brown wire at the six-pin motor connector. Press Menu and any other open phases will be displayed. To return to main screen, press the Up key.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    I forgot to mark the difference in voltage between Servo On and Off - but I think they were pretty close and they both checked out OK. The phase test seemed to fail on all colors (green, black, brown, and white) - it just went BROWN PHASE ?? until I hit menu again, then it went BLACK PHASE ?? and cycled through all the colors.

    I disconnected the plug at the computer module under the helm - everthing looks normal there. Is there a plug at the servo motor that I missed? I didn't see one - just the wires going into the servo.

    Is there a way to isolate this further so I don't replace the servo motor when I need to replace the computer module?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lake Austin and Lake Buchanan, Texas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,505
    Boat
    1999 2100v Limited
    Quote Originally Posted by jmstige View Post
    I did the servo test yesterday...


    -------------------------------------------------------------
    13.5 = OK SERVO OFF – The system automatically powers down the servo and measures the supply voltage level. This level with engine running should be between 13.0 and 14 volts. (If the voltage is below 13.0 volts, this display will show it is low. Press menu to continue.

    12.9 = OK SERVO ON – The system turns the servo motor on to measure the power supply and resulting voltage. This level should be between 12.2 – 13.2 with engine running. A reading below 12.1 volts will produce a “LO” indication. Press menu to continue into Servo Motor Test function.

    The difference between the voltage readings of these two tests indicates the condition of the connections. A difference of more than 1.2 volts indicates a potential wiring problem.


    [ PHASE TEST ^ = END ]
    The servo motor will automatically slowly rotate and continually check all phase circuits (Green, Black, Brown, White). If a circuit is bad or “Open”, the screen will change to [ BROWN PHASE ?? ] which means the brown phase wire is open and should be investigated. The brown wire at both plug ends and at servo should be checked and also the motor lead connected to the brown wire at the six-pin motor connector. Press Menu and any other open phases will be displayed. To return to main screen, press the Up key.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    I forgot to mark the difference in voltage between Servo On and Off - but I think they were pretty close and they both checked out OK. The phase test seemed to fail on all colors (green, black, brown, and white) - it just went BROWN PHASE ?? until I hit menu again, then it went BLACK PHASE ?? and cycled through all the colors.

    I disconnected the plug at the computer module under the helm - everthing looks normal there. Is there a plug at the servo motor that I missed? I didn't see one - just the wires going into the servo.

    Is there a way to isolate this further so I don't replace the servo motor when I need to replace the computer module?
    I'd try calling PerfectPass, they have pretty good customer support from what I remember.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •