Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How to change a steering cable.

Boat
    Any

How to change a steering cable.

This article will help you change a steering cable with a Teleflex rack system. This will only cover changing the steering cable and not how to remove parts of the interior and flooring to get to the steering cable as there are a lot of different boats that this same procedure will work on.

Tools needed for the swap are as follows,

You will first need to loosen the nut that attach the cable and the support tube using a 1 1/8" wrench.

Then remove the bolt that holds the steering cable to the swivel on the tiller arm using an 9/16" wrench on the bolt and an 1/2" wrench on the nut.

Now under the dash remove the four bolts that hold the rack to the helm using a 7/16 wrench.

At this point I take a cutoff tool and cut the cable between the v-drive and the gas tank to make the removal of the old cable much easier.

Now pull the two parts out of the boat.

To install the new cable I fish a wire from the helm to the gas tank area to feed the new cable toward the rear of the boat. Before running the new cable take the rudder end and push cable all the way into the jacket and tape them together and that will make the turns easier than if the cable is out of the jacket.

When running the new cable if you have a v-drive, run the cable on top of the tank as that will help keep water out of the jacket of the cable and stop the problem that we are correcting.

Run the cable from the helm through the support tube and connect to the tiller arm. Look under the boat and make sure rudder is straight and straighten the steering wheel then attach the rack to the helm.

Good Night!
    Last edited by Matt Garcia; 10-04-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Boat
    '02 20V Lim.
    Lee, Lee,Lee....if only it was that easy.

I'm coming to your house when I need the next one!

Boat
    1999 2100v Limited
    Will running the cable over the gas tank work for all V-Drives, including mine (2100v)?
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Boat
    Any
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbert View Post
    Will running the cable over the gas tank work for all V-Drives, including mine (2100v)?
    Yes sir, All Tige v-drives.

Boat
    Any
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Lee, Lee,Lee....if only it was that easy.

I'm coming to your house when I need the next one!
    You better have a 35* MT Dew first.

Boat
    2005 22v
    I have a 2005 22v. I'm trying to replace the cable myself. Is there a trick to getting the floor panel off to get to the gas tank I tried to just pry it up with a coupe screwdrivers, but it seems like it's attached somewhere under the back seating. Any help is appreciated.

Boat
    Back in the good ol' days a 2006 22ve
    Quote Originally Posted by wake454 View Post
    I have a 2005 22v. I'm trying to replace the cable myself. Is there a trick to getting the floor panel off to get to the gas tank I tried to just pry it up with a coupe screwdrivers, but it seems like it's attached somewhere under the back seating. Any help is appreciated.
    Its held down by the seat box. It has to be removed first. There are some pics around here somewhere, let me look!

First couple pics in this thread will show how to remove the seat box.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5510
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience and Customer Service you can trust-KICKER, WetSounds, ACME props, ARC Audio, FlyHigh ballast & Barefoot Int, Alpine, Sony And More

Boat
    2001 21V Limited & 2001 Donzi 27ZF Center Console
    Lee,
    Changing out my steering cable on a 2001 21V. Do you have to remove the impeller fresh water hose in order to get enough acess to the threaded nut holding the cable in place to the tiller saft??

Boat
    2001 21v
    Quote Originally Posted by tktige' View Post
    Lee,
    Changing out my steering cable on a 2001 21V. Do you have to remove the impeller fresh water hose in order to get enough acess to the threaded nut holding the cable in place to the tiller saft??
    yes

Boat
    2001 21v
    I just did my cable last weekend. not a hard job, just took some time!

Boat
    2001 21V Limited & 2001 Donzi 27ZF Center Console
    That damn nut holding the tiller shaft is a b*tch!!!

I have a 2004 20I and wheres the best place to purchase a cabel?
    also does anyone know the part # for this size cable?
    If you cant have fun doing it, dont do it!

Boat
    Any
    Quote Originally Posted by tktige' View Post
    Lee,
    No you do not have to remove the hose. If you have an old 1 1/8" wrench, cut it off so it is ony about three inches long and you will be able to reach the nut easier.

Did mine last night. It took about an hour. I just tied a 1/4 rope on the one end to help guide me back under the motor with the new cable.
    If you cant have fun doing it, dont do it!

so how do you ground it?