Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Servicing Your Transmission and V-Drive

When checking fluid levels, should the trailer be level or the engine? The engine is mounted at an angle, so it's tilted a little when the trailer is level. Or should I put the boat in the water and then check? Seems like there should be a proper way.

Boat
    2012 RZ2
    Quote Originally Posted by rfoon View Post
    When checking fluid levels, should the trailer be level or the engine? The engine is mounted at an angle, so it's tilted a little when the trailer is level. Or should I put the boat in the water and then check? Seems like there should be a proper way.
    I always work with engine fluids with the boat floor level. That is what it is on the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I currently have ATF in both the transmission and V-drive. If I change to SAE30 like some have recommended, are there any issues with mixing ATF and oil if I can't get all the ATF out? Should I just stick with ATF?

Boat
    Tige 2008 22ve
    Quote Originally Posted by rfoon View Post
    I currently have ATF in both the transmission and V-drive. If I change to SAE30 like some have recommended, are there any issues with mixing ATF and oil if I can't get all the ATF out? Should I just stick with ATF?
    Good question. I am getting ready to do mine and would like to know also.

I just checked my manual. It says to use ATF in both.

It also says to DIP the DIPSTICK to check fluid levels.

Boat
    Tige 2008 22ve

Boat
    2007 22ve
    The Tige’ dealer in Denver recommended ATF in the tranny and 30W in the drive for the ZF hurth 45 IV setup.
    It’s not a big deal to pump out as much ATF as you can and refill the drive with 30W. If it were me I’d change the fluid a couple times within a couple outings because I’m OCD like that and it’s only a quart of 30W each time you do it.
    You’re definitely not gonna hurt anything by mixing the two in the drive. It’s just gearing internally.