Thread: Low voltage no charge 22ve

Low voltage no charge 22ve

2010 Tige 22ve. I’m having an issue with the batteries not charging. I started out the day at 12 volts and the voltage slowly dropped down to 11.3. Low voltage warning was going off. Radio cut out, taps turned off. I replaced both batteries and cleaned all terminals. Any ideas what the problem could be? Alternator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat
    2007 22ve
    You can always get out the voltmeter and test the output of the alternator with the boat on a fake a lake or on the water. You’ll need to have it around 3k rpms to get a decent voltage reading you won’t get much at idle.

Boat
    Back in the good ol' days a 2006 22ve
    12V on the gauge with the engine running is basically static battery voltage and not alternator output. Defenitely need to test charging system with volt meter. Can be alternator, cable/wire, belt or isolator.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Boat
    Tige R23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdriver View Post
    You can always get out the voltmeter and test the output of the alternator with the boat on a fake a lake or on the water. You’ll need to have it around 3k rpms to get a decent voltage reading you won’t get much at idle.
    3k? That seems really high. Should be 14V at or just above idle right? Am I missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat
    2005 22v
    Quote Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
    12V on the gauge with the engine running is basically static battery voltage and not alternator output. Defenitely need to test charging system with volt meter. Can be alternator, cable/wire, belt or isolator.
    I’m having a similar issue so jumping in.

My alternator output at idle (600 rpm) is 11.9v. What’s weird is that same voltage is being fed to the power bus under the helm. My perfect pass keeps restarting due to low voltage and stereo too. Shouldn’t my battery be providing 12v when the alternator isn’t? Where could my problem lie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I’m having a similar issue so jumping in.

My alternator output at idle (600 rpm) is 11.9v. What’s weird is that same voltage is being fed to the power bus under the helm. My perfect pass keeps restarting due to low voltage and stereo too. Shouldn’t my battery be providing 12v when the alternator isn’t? Where could my problem lie?

A battery does not generate voltage, simply stores it. So unless the alternator is supplying above the level of the battery, the battery will be depleted by the loads, and continue to drop.

if you measure the battery voltage prior to starting the engine, and the voltage is same or less once the engine is running, your alternator is not supplying the battery for some reason.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Boat
    2005 22v
    A battery does not generate voltage, simply stores it. So unless the alternator is supplying above the level of the battery, the battery will be depleted by the loads, and continue to drop.

if you measure the battery voltage prior to starting the engine, and the voltage is same or less once the engine is running, your alternator is not supplying the battery for some reason.
    I think the alternator must be feeding the battery. If I raise the rpm ‘s a couple hundred or so and I put my volt meter on the battery, I’m showing approx 13v (roughly mirroring the alternator output voltage). My helm bus voltage jumps too and PP stabilizes and starts working. This issue occurs at idle when the alternator is supplying less than 12v.

Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I think the alternator must be feeding the battery. If I raise the rpm ‘s a couple hundred or so and I put my volt meter on the battery, I’m showing approx 13v (roughly mirroring the alternator output voltage). My helm bus voltage jumps too and PP stabilizes and starts working. This issue occurs at idle when the alternator is supplying less than 12v.

A tired battery or degrading cable can cause low output at idle.

Boat
    2005 22v
    A tired battery or degrading cable can cause low output at idle.
    I’m thinking my batteries are good - Blue Top Optima AGM both less than 3 yrs. I would look at cables first because of this. What’s the best way to ID a degrading cable?

I was checking voltages at the alternator, battery and helm bus. They seemed to match pretty closely to what I was seeing at the alternator. My first test did show a .2v diff between alternator and battery, not sure if that’s significant. I’m no expert with the volt meter but noticed a lot of jumping around of the voltage - always in a range .4-.5 volt range. Occasionally got a consistent reading.