Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surf toon

Surf toon

Weve been joking about this idea for a while in the shop. Guess someone with more time for R and D than us, and a lot more manufacturing abilities figured it out. All hail the real aluminum surf boat lol(should be a LOT less than a Pavati).

https://boatingindustry.com/news/201...-surf-pontoon/

It will be interesting to see if they actually throw a decent wave.
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 10-08-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Boat
    '14 Z3
    I'd sure like to see it in action.
    midwest lakes would eat that up with the number of tooners around. if they keep the pricepoint around 75k for a pretty well equipped unit it'll probably do well.

lists changing room and john so guessing that's nothing more than the popup units you see on tooners now?

wonder if they are filling up one/both of the logs with water using a center one for floatability/engine pod and deploying a fake-gate of sorts
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Boat
    Back in the good ol' days a 2006 22ve
    If this thing can half way surf and do it safely, both for the surfer and passengers, I see it getting a little marker share. Heres why. The Pontoon is like the 2nd fastest growing market. I think its in part to the middle aged boater moving from the thrills of fast or water sports boats, to more casual cruising and lake social life. Kids are grown and delivering grand kids.

Novice wave from a boat that seats 12+ comfortably and has a wet bar? Yes, they're in.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Boat
    Previously 2004 22i, 2014 Z1, now 2015 Z3
    It will take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiaYARLen8 to a whole new level, that's for sure!

Boat
    Used to have gangsta lean 24Ve; then GSA F24 Tomcat, now a 2016 Supra SE450. Onward we roll!
    Quote Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
    If this thing can half way surf and do it safely, both for the surfer and passengers, I see it getting a little marker share. Heres why. The Pontoon is like the 2nd fastest growing market. I think its in part to the middle aged boater moving from the thrills of fast or water sports boats, to more casual cruising and lake social life. Kids are grown and delivering grand kids.

Novice wave from a boat that seats 12+ comfortably and has a wet bar? Yes, they're in.
    Toons aren’t for old people. Young families around here more and more. I was one before I discovered surfing. If you can get over the ego blow of their appearance, their roughwater ride is unparalleled, the room is crazy, and the stability is great. I always said there was nothing bad about my boat other than it’s slightly ugly appearance.

There also super duper easy to board and offload because they are typically at dock height or close. Just sweetness for a herd of kids. Or old people!

Mine went bye-bye when I discovered surfing. Otherwise I would still have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Boat
    2015 Tige R20 Black and Lime
    After watching the video posted by D&P...
    I'm in.
    I wonder if they have a Dukes of Hazzard paint scheme.

Boat
    Used to have gangsta lean 24Ve; then GSA F24 Tomcat, now a 2016 Supra SE450. Onward we roll!
    Quote Originally Posted by chpthril View Post

You’re right Mike, they’re on fire! Lots beautiful ones speeding around at 45mph 🤣

Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Toons aren’t for old people. Young families around here more and more. I was one before I discovered surfing. If you can get over the ego blow of their appearance, their roughwater ride is unparalleled, the room is crazy, and the stability is great. I always said there was nothing bad about my boat other than it’s slightly ugly appearance.

There also super duper easy to board and offload because they are typically at dock height or close. Just sweetness for a herd of kids. Or old people!

Mine went bye-bye when I discovered surfing. Otherwise I would still have it!

I didnt say only old people own toons, even though I do. However, the growth in the toon sector is spurred by the demographics I described. I do biz with a lot of toon owners, I see who has them, all types, just speaking the one of the main reasons the toon market is growing so fast right now. Long time boaters that are moving from go-fast, run abouts, wake/ski boats. Their family unit has evolved, so their lake use has as well.

I agree with everything you say about toons. Not hard to find a $175K toon. Not many 30 somethings with 3 kids are buying those
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    You’re right Mike, they’re on fire! Lots beautiful ones speeding around at 45mph ��

Damn near every boat dealer around here carries a line of toons. At the boat show, its nothing to see at least 3 lines, carried by more then one dealer. Competition is now down to manly price.

Boat
    I guess it’s hard to tell who owns them from looking at them, because there is usually 15 people on them of varying ages 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by D&P Powell View Post
    It will take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiaYARLen8 to a whole new level, that's for sure!
    This is awesome. Made my day. Thanks!!

Well said Dakota. I had a 25.5 ft double decker up in McCall (5k ft elevation). Boat weighed over 7k, 12 people on board, and crushed BIG rollers at 42MPH. Sure it had a supercharged 250 Verado on it so that helps. I was there babysitting some toons at a wooden boat show that we help sponsor. I can say I talked to all kinds while there that were interested in toons. Gpas that were ready to ditch the comp boats and young families that just want to cram the bbq, SUPs, jakets, coolers and a zillion people on. Seems like a lot of the toon crowd will roll a jet ski or two for people to go get nuts on then come back to the boat.

Mike, we carry two pontoon lines and wouldnt be suprised if we picked up more if our area keeps growing at its current rate.
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 10-09-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Boat
    2019 ZX5/ZX1
    Quote Originally Posted by D&P Powell View Post
    you hijacker...

Boat
    2016, 2015 G23, Malibu 247, X45, 2005 24V, 2002 21V
    He talked about pushing 25000 pounds of mass to create a wave....Watch out! I would have a toon in a heartbeat if it performed well for surfing, towing me on my chair, and a little bit of tubing. It sounds like they are getting there.
    Be excellent to one another.

Boat
    2007 22ve
    I’ve been trying to convince friends of mine to buy a POONtoon for years! Finally succeeded and a couple I know bought one this last summer. There’s enough wakeboats in the group, the party barge was the missing link.
    Pretty sweet tying up to it for a burger or brat after destroying some glass. No longer having to go back to the campground for lunch every time was pretty awesome. I can smell that grill cooking from a mile away! Pretty nice to have an on lake staging area for chillin and grillin!
    I’ll be interested to see some more pics and video of this thing actually surfing.

Boat
    Boat free till 2021 2016 Z3, 1998 2200v
    Pontoons are part of the Holy Trinity. Pimped out wake boat, beater closed bow ski boat and the Pontoon. I'm probably going to get a $15k pontoon and a $15-20K closed bow ski boat when I get back to the states. Keep the pontoon in the water and trailer down the ski boat.