Thread: Amp/Speaker help

1. Amp/Speaker help

I recently had a tower replacement on my 2017 R21. I gained two new Rev-8 tower speakers as a part of replacing the tower. From the factory, I only had 2 tower speakers (Icon-8). Below is a list of what came stock.

I'm at a loss to understand if I'm under powering all of the speakers with the addition of the Rev8s with the MA300 head unit, HT2 and HT6 amps. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

R-Icon 8 Tower of Power System
    • R-Premium Sound System = MA300 Bluetooth Head Unit+ 4 Wetsounds SS-65i Coaxial Speakers
    • R- Power Premium Sound System = R-Premium Sound System+ 2 SS-65i Coaxial Speakers + HT 6 Amp + XS-1 OF A 1 O" Subwoofer
    • R-Icon Tower of Power System = R-Power Premium Sound+ HT 2 AMP+ Icon Tower Speakers

Boat
    Back in the good ol' days a 2006 22ve
    IMO, the in-boats is powered nicely. Can the 65ic handle more then 75W rms? Sure. Can the 10fa handle more then 300W rms? Sure. But I would not categorize the in-boat setup as under powered.

The tower pods are powered by 150W rms to each, from the HTX-2DPS. Will the Icon-8 handle more power? Sure. Will the Rev-8 handle more? Sure, about double.

My concern is the mix of coaxial and HLCD on the tower as well as wired together on the same amp chnls. The do not share the available wattage equally, like like size and type speakers do and they do not play the same frequencies at the same amplitude. You are better off with a 2nd pair of icon-8 or 2 pair of rev-8.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

3. Thanks for information. When I said under powering, I was referring to the fact that we added 2 additional tower speaks without adding an amp. It's running off what I had stock. I was just making sure that by adding two additional speakers it wasn't putting too much on the amp. To you point of mixed coaxial and HLCD, if that's just a sound quality issue, I might need to live with it as I can't justify buying additional ones just to match. Now, if you think it may cause issues with the amp or the speakers over the long run, that's a different story and I wouldn't want to shorten the life of each.

Boat
    In theory, the original pair was receiving 150w rms to each. With the addition of the 2nd pair, as long as they are wired in parallel, they are all, in theory, receiving 150W rms each. The amp's specs are 150 x 2 @ 4 ohm and 300 x 2 @ 2 ohm. So rather then state they are under powered, id say that the coaxials are getting decent wattage and HLCD are not pushed to their potential.

That 2 chnl is perfectly content powering 2 pair of speakers.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

5. Perfect. Thanks for explaining that. I've looked at a few diagrams of parallel wiring, so I'll confirm that when I get a chance. Appreciate the help.

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    aj,

Why was your tower replaced? My tower in the R21 flexes every time I pull some one up. I figured that was normal, but I am new to the Wakesurf Boats too!

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Wet sounds recommended upgrading the tower amp, as the HTX-2 is underpowered. This would more closely match the speakers rated wattage.

Boat
    The rms output of the HTX-2 is, 150W to each speaker. The RMS rating of the icon-8 is 150W. So as stated above, the HTX-2 is a perfect match for 1 or 2 pair of icon-8. In order to make an audible difference, you need to almost double the wattage to the speaker. Now we are pushing the 300W range, the speakers peak or thermal power handling.

The unique scenario here, is there are two vastly different speakers wired together on the same amp. Different type, different power handling, different efficiency.

As noted above, both speakers could handle more wattage, but thats not the best solution here. I would check my expectations before making that $750 + labor investment on another amp.

9. Up2plane, I only had my original Diamond tower for two days before it got crushed by a 3600lb tree branch, so I wasn't able to notice if there was flex in the tower when I was pulling people. The new M2 they replaced it with will be tested today and I'll keep an eye on it.

I am also eager to give the new speakers a test run today.