Thread: 18” wheels on RZX trailer

18” wheels on RZX trailer

Just out of curiosity, how many trailers are running 18” wheels? I had a steel belt separate last weekend, tire expanded in diameter, and jacked the paint on my fender.

Tire shop tell me it’s dumb to run an 18” on a trailer with a 255/55/18 as you can’t get a trailer or even 10ply auto tire for it. Highest weight rating that we could find was 2271lbs per tire, which is cutting it a little close, if you ask me. Mine came with 18s, my buddy’s G23 cane with a triple axle on 18s which will at least carry the weight.

Anyone seen that size tire with a better weight rating? Is running 18s common? There must be a bunch of people that would rather look “cool” than run the right tire, unless there’s rubber out there that I’m not seeing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boat
    2017 RZX2 fully custom
    I’ve always ran 18s on every boat I’ve owned, my current boat is a tandem axle 2017 RZX2 and I have 1100 in lead in it and pull it all the time and have never had issues. Personally I don’t listen to the tire shops since boat trailers and boats are in a class of there own. Give boatmate a call and chat them up and they will more than likely be able to tell you if they have had issues in the past.
    surf till u die.

Boat
    2016 RZX3, 2014 R20 with taps 3
    I have 16s on mine and it seems just fine.

I have noticed that the 18s are coming with Togo tires, maybe they’re a little different.

If I have another problem with my 18s, I’ll be switching to 16s, which is what my local tire shop recommended, and which sounds like would have been the right move by, I guess BoatMate, or whoever made the bad call to put 18s on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro