Thread: 2017 R21 factory ballasts

Boat
    2017 Tige R21

2017 R21 factory ballasts

Has anyone looked into upgrading the 2 factory 800lb rear ballasts? I have called WakeMAKERS, Tige and my local dealer. No one has a solid answer. I have suggestions to add 200 lbs of lead weight under each rear ballast. Custom ballasts that take up my side storage. Fat sac on the seat or upgrading to a deeper boat with more ballast.

Any advice would be super helpful.

Boat
    Back in the good ol' days a 2006 22ve
    No one has a solid answer.
    What is the questions to which no one has a solid answer to?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience and Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props ARC Audio FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LifeForm LED Polk Rockford And More

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Hi Chpthril,

I’m considering adding a 8”x20”x40” (240lbs) midship wet ballasts under each side seat and 200lbs of dry ballast under each rear locker ballast. Just wondering if anyone has experience or successfully upgraded a R21/Z1 Convex V hull to produce an awesome surf wave without the boat loaded with people. I have the R360 Indmar engine.

Thanks

Boat
    2015 Z3 w/AVX
    Quote Originally Posted by Waiting on parts View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience or successfully upgraded a R21/Z1 Convex V hull to produce an awesome surf wave without the boat loaded with people.
    Yes, someone has.

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Thanks! Very informative.

Boat
    2013 Tigé Z1 Vx
    Hi Chpthril,

I’m considering adding a 8”x20”x40” (240lbs) midship wet ballasts under each side seat and 200lbs of dry ballast under each rear locker ballast. Just wondering if anyone has experience or successfully upgraded a R21/Z1 Convex V hull to produce an awesome surf wave without the boat loaded with people. I have the R360 Indmar engine.

Thanks
    I get an amazing Z1 wave out of the lowly 21 foot hull. The key is filling all your compartments with ballast. It sucks for storage, but you quickly forget that when you have a massive wave. I run about 1300lb bags in each rear corner and 400lbs on each side of the front. They are pretty much all full when surfing unless I have lots of people. Then I might lower the rears a bit.

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Thanks JohnnieMo. I’m new to wake surfing and Tigé. Our local Tigé dealer has great prices and friendly staff, but that’s about it. Do you have Taps 3? I was instructed to start at 4 on both center and Taps 3. The speed of 10.8mph was not quite fast enough. We surf around 11.4mph. What do you typically surf at?

Boat
    2013 Tigé Z1 Vx
    Thanks JohnnieMo. I’m new to wake surfing and Tigé. Our local Tigé dealer has great prices and friendly staff, but that’s about it. Do you have Taps 3? I was instructed to start at 4 on both center and Taps 3. The speed of 10.8mph was not quite fast enough. We surf around 11.4mph. What do you typically surf at?
    I do not have TAPS3. However I surf around 11MPH. A lot of folks surf up to 12MPH with the newer boats, but I still like it a bit slower. It all depends how you like your wave.

I'm sure others will weigh in with TAPS3 advice. If not, there is a wealth of info on the forum - just run a search for TAPS3 settings.

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Sounds good! I’ll look around. Did you install custom rear surf ballasts or add to the existing 800lb rear ballasts?

Boat
    2013 Tigé Z1 Vx
    Sounds good! I’ll look around. Did you install custom rear surf ballasts or add to the existing 800lb rear ballasts?
    In 2013, we had 250lb hard tanks underneath with 400lb bags above. I pulled out those 400lb bags and replaced them with custom 1000lb bags (give or take). They reach forward up under the seats. The plumbing is basically the same, so they really are plug and play (PNP). Chpthrl sells upgraded bags.

Boat
    2017 Tige R21
    Thanks! Super helpful. I’ll send measurements to Chpthrl. Also ordering Wetsound upgrades. I’ll post before and after dash and wave photos.