Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Finishing my custom swim platform!!!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    123
    Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE

    Finishing my custom swim platform!!!!!

    I have been thinking of building a nice wood swim step since I saw Brad's at the 2016 reunion and I finally pulled the trigger! I am almost done!!!! Just need to touch up with the orbital sander, route the edges and do another coat of oil!! Here are some build pics - what do y'all think???

    Shout out to Brad (Throttlebody) for helping me with the dimensions!!!!

    Boat: 24V
    Material: Ironwoods Ipe
    Glue: Tight Bond III
    Screws: 1 inch stainless countersunk 1/2 inch; 1-1/2 inch stainless lag screws to platform brackets; 1 inch stainless kreg jig screws for pocket holes on frame
    other tools: door board, circular saw, jig saw, belt sander, orbital sander
    Oil/Sealer: regular end grain sealer on end grain and Penofin Marine Oil and penetrating sealer on top

    Total build time: about 2 weekends once I actually got the nerve to make my first cuts


    1) I started by making a perfectly sized template from particle board with all of my measurements.

    1.jpg

    2) Then I constructed the under frame using a door board for cuts, speed square for the angles, a kreg jig, and many clamps. I am still undecided on whether or not I am going to install the under-mount ladder. Sealed the entire under-frame with end-grain sealer for durability.

    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

    3) from there I laid out my top pieces and used the old fiberglass platform to draw out and jigsaw the transom curve. Screwed these from the bottom up. total thickness is about 1-1/2 inches so I used inch long stainless screws and countersunk them 1/2 inch to ensure they bite into the top boards without going all the way through. Pre-drilling the holes with the proper size bit is a must otherwise the wood splits easily! I also used tight bond III on all joints as over kill. You need at least 3 36 inch clamps and a handful of small clamps.

    5.jpg
    6.jpg

    4) cut out the final shape with a door board I made out of mdf.

    5) did a light sand and oil. Still need to do another sand and coat of oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (121.6 KB, 175 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (76.1 KB, 171 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (101.0 KB, 174 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (103.3 KB, 172 views)
    Last edited by kjohnson709; 05-16-2018 at 03:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    123
    Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE
    Last edited by kjohnson709; 05-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    156
    Boat
    2006 24Ve
    Kyle take it a step further...like this fellow V owner: BD150F45-34A0-4279-A99D-72161C493C96.jpeg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    667
    Boat
    2007 22ve
    Nice write up and end product! Personally I don’t dig sharp angles but it all about results and what your happy with.
    Post pics when you have the BBQ rocking!
    Have a great summer!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Nashville,TN
    Posts
    19
    Boat
    2004 22v
    Gumby still has that upper platform. He redid mine in teak. Hit him up if you want to turn your ride into a grill in' machine

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Age
    33
    Posts
    807
    Boat
    2001 Riders Edition/2100V LTD
    Very cool man! Great job brotha!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    123
    Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE
    Thanks guys! The oil actually dried a little lighter which I am happy about. In the sun it has a very nice look to it. I went with the sharper corners to model Brad's and somewhat what was on the RZ2. From what I have read this will not dig into the surf wave. I have an under-mount, telescoping ladder that I would like to install but I need to thru-bolt it from the top, which means I will need to counter sink and install wood plugs. I am not sure if this will look good and it certainly won't look as good as it does now. Here is a pic in the sun.

    BTW for anyone looking to do something like this - total cost was about $550 and I could be closer to $500. I mis-cut a few pieces and had to buy more wood.

    IMG_7448.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •