Thread: Finishing my custom swim platform!!!!!

Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE

Finishing my custom swim platform!!!!!

I have been thinking of building a nice wood swim step since I saw Brad's at the 2016 reunion and I finally pulled the trigger! I am almost done!!!! Just need to touch up with the orbital sander, route the edges and do another coat of oil!! Here are some build pics - what do y'all think???

Shout out to Brad (Throttlebody) for helping me with the dimensions!!!!

Boat: 24V
    Material: Ironwoods Ipe
    Glue: Tight Bond III
    Screws: 1 inch stainless countersunk 1/2 inch; 1-1/2 inch stainless lag screws to platform brackets; 1 inch stainless kreg jig screws for pocket holes on frame
    other tools: door board, circular saw, jig saw, belt sander, orbital sander
    Oil/Sealer: regular end grain sealer on end grain and Penofin Marine Oil and penetrating sealer on top

Total build time: about 2 weekends once I actually got the nerve to make my first cuts

1) I started by making a perfectly sized template from particle board with all of my measurements.

1.jpg

2) Then I constructed the under frame using a door board for cuts, speed square for the angles, a kreg jig, and many clamps. I am still undecided on whether or not I am going to install the under-mount ladder. Sealed the entire under-frame with end-grain sealer for durability.

2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

3) from there I laid out my top pieces and used the old fiberglass platform to draw out and jigsaw the transom curve. Screwed these from the bottom up. total thickness is about 1-1/2 inches so I used inch long stainless screws and countersunk them 1/2 inch to ensure they bite into the top boards without going all the way through. Pre-drilling the holes with the proper size bit is a must otherwise the wood splits easily! I also used tight bond III on all joints as over kill. You need at least 3 36 inch clamps and a handful of small clamps.

5.jpg
    6.jpg

4) cut out the final shape with a door board I made out of mdf.

5) did a light sand and oil. Still need to do another sand and coat of oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (121.6 KB, 175 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (76.1 KB, 171 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (101.0 KB, 174 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (103.3 KB, 172 views)
    Last edited by kjohnson709; 05-16-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE
    Last edited by kjohnson709; 05-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Boat
    2006 24Ve
    Kyle take it a step further...like this fellow V owner: BD150F45-34A0-4279-A99D-72161C493C96.jpeg

Boat
    2007 22ve
    Nice write up and end product! Personally I don’t dig sharp angles but it all about results and what your happy with.
    Post pics when you have the BBQ rocking!
    Have a great summer!

Boat
    2004 22v
    Gumby still has that upper platform. He redid mine in teak. Hit him up if you want to turn your ride into a grill in' machine

Boat
    2001 Riders Edition/2100V LTD
    Very cool man! Great job brotha!

Boat
    2005 Tige 24V RE
    Thanks guys! The oil actually dried a little lighter which I am happy about. In the sun it has a very nice look to it. I went with the sharper corners to model Brad's and somewhat what was on the RZ2. From what I have read this will not dig into the surf wave. I have an under-mount, telescoping ladder that I would like to install but I need to thru-bolt it from the top, which means I will need to counter sink and install wood plugs. I am not sure if this will look good and it certainly won't look as good as it does now. Here is a pic in the sun.

BTW for anyone looking to do something like this - total cost was about $550 and I could be closer to $500. I mis-cut a few pieces and had to buy more wood.

IMG_7448.jpg