Thread: Boat lift cables breaking!!

1. Boat lift cables breaking!!

Last year I had bought a used 5600 Hewitt Vertical lift for my R20. Towards the end of the year I upgraded to a 2017 Z1 and after a few times using the lift the spreader cables snapped (at separate times). When the first one went I ordered two factory cables because I knew the other side wasn’t a factory cable and figured it would break to. But I just put it on the lift for this year and I am very nervous they’ll break again.

My question is how should the cables be tensioned. I have attached the diagram (mine has the winch cable going over and back due to it being a heavier lift). I’m thinking I may need to tighten the rear load cables but I’m not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boat
    2015 RZ4
    Quote Originally Posted by dssteckm View Post
    Last year I had bought a used 5600 Hewitt Vertical lift for my R20. Towards the end of the year I upgraded to a 2017 Z1 and after a few times using the lift the spreader cables snapped (at separate times). When the first one went I ordered two factory cables because I knew the other side wasn’t a factory cable and figured it would break to. But I just put it on the lift for this year and I am very nervous they’ll break again.

My question is how should the cables be tensioned. I have attached the diagram (mine has the winch cable going over and back due to it being a heavier lift). I’m thinking I may need to tighten the rear load cables but I’m not sure.
    I can’t help you on all of this. But I hate our cable lift. It scares the **** out of me every time I use it. I know they are completely safe when correctly fitted. But after seeing other hydro hoist style lifts in person, I’ve pretty much decided I’m completely done with it. The possibility of a cable or other piece breaking and hurting someone is just not worth it.

Good luck with fixing this though. Free bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

Boat
    1999 Tige 21v Riders Edition
    I’m with BlackoutATX, not much hell but wanted to chime in. Our cable broke a couple seasons ago and the boat fell about 2 feet onto the water. It snapped right where the winch was. Granted it was 15 years old when it broke, it still scared the **** out of me and even more my wife. She had just stepped off of the boat onto the dock when it snapped. Talk about a close call.

Now we always make sure to have everyone off the boat and on the dock before lifting the boat. After it has been lifted I will go back on to snap the cover on. Sometimes I get lazy and in a hurry and forget, but everyone with cable lifts be careful and inspect those cables and pullies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk