Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New RZX3 on the way!

Boat
    2016 RZX3, 2014 R20 with taps 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LTWellman View Post
    Sweet. My neighbor has the same color scheme on their RZX, looks killer on the water. Enjoy.
    When your neighbor has a Tige, that’s goals.

Nice boat!

Boat
    2018 RZR
    congrats! Thats an amazing boat. Bring on the warm weather!!!!

Boat
    2019 ZX5/ZX1
    Going to be stoked man

Boat
    2018 RZX3
    Very nice boat!
    Just wondering how the boat pulls with the tandem axle trailer? My dealer says you should have the tri-axle??

Boat
    Jwolfe, you talking to Tyler at Gt? We got a tandem mainly because we have a HD truck that can handle the weight. If you’re running anything less they recommended the triple.

Boat
    2018 RZX3
    bsreid...Yeah it was Tyler at GT, he basically said tri-axle is recommended for resale and it pulls better. I just have noticed that there's a lot of tandem pics with the RZX3.

Boat
    The cost for the triple upgrade wasn’t really worth it for the amount we will actually be towing and resale isn’t much of a concern as I can’t see this one going anytime soon.

I don't see the benefit to triples especially if you have to back your trailer around sharp corners. Watch how much your wheels flex on a tandem trailers when backing up. Triples just add more friction and make it harder to turn, which means more side load on bearings. We don't sell triples, so don't have anecdotal proof, but at Boatmate factory training they recommended jacking up triples and checking for endplay everytime a triple is in your bay. Seems like even they think that the extra friction is something to worry about in relation to bearing service. Would be interesting to hear the argument for why a triple would tow better...Less maneuverable, shorter bearing life, more money in tires, and god forbid you barely graze a curb, oh ya and the thing that just carries your boat to the lake now costs more, but to each their own. Would certainly rather buy a board than another set of 18s and rubbers if I didn't have to.

Boat
    Boat free till 2021 2016 Z3, 1998 2200v
    Such a sweet ride. Great colors. Love that blue flake.

Boat
    2017 RZX3, 2013 MB F24, 2000 21V
    Quote Originally Posted by freeheel4life View Post
    I don't see the benefit to triples especially if you have to back your trailer around sharp corners. Watch how much your wheels flex on a tandem trailers when backing up. Triples just add more friction and make it harder to turn, which means more side load on bearings. We don't sell triples, so don't have anecdotal proof, but at Boatmate factory training they recommended jacking up triples and checking for endplay everytime a triple is in your bay. Seems like even they think that the extra friction is something to worry about in relation to bearing service. Would be interesting to hear the argument for why a triple would tow better...Less maneuverable, shorter bearing life, more money in tires, and god forbid you barely graze a curb, oh ya and the thing that just carries your boat to the lake now costs more, but to each their own. Would certainly rather buy a board than another set of 18s and rubbers if I didn't have to.
    This may not be 100% accurate, but from what I can tell it is, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of 2 axle RZX trailers running 5 lug wheels/hubs. From what I can tell the max GVW on a Boatmate running this set up is 7000. The boat weighs 6000 empty and the trailer weighs 1400. It's overloaded from the get go.
    Then boatmate steps up to a 6 lug hub/wheel that has a GVW of 8400, but a load capacity of only 6900. Once fueled that doesn't leave a lot of room for gear. On the other hand, Boatmate offers a 3 axle with the smaller hub/wheel assembly that can only hold a load of 6600 (I'm wondering if that's a typo?).
    Boatmate does make the XL version of the 2 axle trailer that has a GVW of 10000, but from what I can see it is offered with the larger 6 lug hub/wheels.

Bottomline, make sure your RZX trailer is rated for 10000 in any configuration, and be very wary of an RZX trailer with 2 axles and 5 lug wheels, regardless of what the GVW tag says.

Of all the boats I've looked at in the last two years it's clear to me that dealers sometimes put boats on trailers that they shouldn't. Saw one where the back 3 feet of the boat was hanging off the trailer!
    Last edited by UNSTUCK; 03-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Boat
    Boat free till 2021 2016 Z3, 1998 2200v
    Yeah...these boats are no joke heavy. I touched a curb last spring and trashed my torsion axle alignment and that was with a Z3 that is 1500 pounds lighter. My Z3 trailer combo comes in around 6200-6500 depending. I'd say you are probably fine with the 8400 GVW 6 lug hub assuming you don't roll with 500 pounds of lead in your boat.

The good news is that torsion axles on these boatmates are ridiculously easy to change out in the parking lot with the boat off the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    This may not be 100% accurate, but from what I can tell it is, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of 2 axle RZX trailers running 5 lug wheels/hubs. From what I can tell the max GVW on a Boatmate running this set up is 7000. The boat weighs 6000 empty and the trailer weighs 1400. It's overloaded from the get go.
    Then boatmate steps up to a 6 lug hub/wheel that has a GVW of 8400, but a load capacity of only 6900. Once fueled that doesn't leave a lot of room for gear. On the other hand, Boatmate offers a 3 axle with the smaller hub/wheel assembly that can only hold a load of 6600 (I'm wondering if that's a typo?).
    Boatmate does make the XL version of the 2 axle trailer that has a GVW of 10000, but from what I can see it is offered with the larger 6 lug hub/wheels.

Bottomline, make sure your RZX trailer is rated for 10000 in any configuration, and be very wary of an RZX trailer with 2 axles and 5 lug wheels, regardless of what the GVW tag says.

Of all the boats I've looked at in the last two years it's clear to me that dealers sometimes put boats on trailers that they shouldn't. Saw one where the back 3 feet of the boat was hanging off the trailer!
    We've got 3 big boats in all with tandem 5 lugs on torsion. All 3 have 8175lbs listed as GVWR. So ya, boat as specd is a match for trailer. Sure doesn t leave much room for gear tho.

Boat
    2019 ZX5/ZX1
    Tripples tow straighter. Ive had both, towed both religiously. The numbers just dont tell the whole story. You get an Rzx loaded and get that thing to speed, thow in a sprinkle of wind and on a double that thing can get all over the road. The extra set of wheels on the ground for make that setup straight as an arrow and a dart on the highway.

Boat
    2017 RZX3, 2013 MB F24, 2000 21V
    Quote Originally Posted by freeheel4life View Post
    We've got 3 big boats in all with tandem 5 lugs on torsion. All 3 have 8175lbs listed as GVWR. So ya, boat as specd is a match for trailer. Sure doesn t leave much room for gear tho.
    I’ll bet you the price of a scale ticket you’re dealer is selling overloaded trailers to unsuspecting customers. Who’s liable when a tire blows out causing a wreck that kills a family?

Unstuck,
    I'm lost. Are the metaphorical tire blowouts due to load rating not being high enough on tires or GVWR being exceeded??
    Here's the data plate for the setup I mentioned. Per your math 6000# boat+1400# trailer+403# of fuel. Comes in under 8175#. Like I said, doesn't leave much payload for gear in the boat.
    I get it though. Your RZX3 is going on a triple. Either way, Tige gives their numbers to Boatmate, they build the trailer to their specs, that their in house engineers come up with. Not going to feel liable or responsible for a setup that is within GVWR, per the 2 OEMs
    Do feel bad when I watch a whole family pile into a Denali and hook up to that boat. On the edge of vehicle tow capacity, but definitely over vehicle payload when you take tongue weight and add it to vehicle occupants plus gear in the vehicle. Certainly makes me worried, but that's the choice owners make. Really most 1/2 tons are even on the edge for payload(when talking boats of this size), especially when you start throwing bikes, tents, chairs, etc in the bed, but most dont look or care what their payload rating is.
    Not trying to play whos right or wrong. Just out of curiosity have you scaled the Tomcat??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-14-2018 at 06:56 AM.