I have seen many options of scan tools and I wanted to get the collective info from the forum as to the options. I see stand alone ones for $400 and a cable and software for a laptop for $600 - and options go as high as $1800! I see that some will only scan and give codes and others actually make tuning adjustments. I'm not looking for the flashing LED that works on 1991 and before, but one that will work on the 1991-2000 as well as the 2000-current models. Most important is that it works with a 2005 Tige' with a Marine Power Vortec 5700.
1) Has anyone researched the options and have any suggestions?
2) Most important are retrieving error codes, but what adjustments do the fancier ones make on the engine and is this something that is worth doing? Do we need to readjust the computer, injectors, etc.?
3) Any opinion on laptop version vs. stand-alone? I can see how the laptop version might be able to do a lot more - but maybe the stand alone has the all the same features that we would actually use.
4) For stand alone ones, I see a "MerCruiser" and a "TechMate". Can the "TechMate" do all the MerCruiser one does as well as work on other brand engines also? They are the same price. Is there any advantage to the "MerCruiser" one over the "TechMate".
5) Will any of these also work on car engines?
6) Any weblinks for lower priced stores to buy these?
I'm asking these questions here because so often these boats go into a special mode and there is so much information in the engine computer that can really save hours of diagnosis and $ in not replacing parts that are not bad as we guess the cause.
Thank you for any inputs!