PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading System

billspin
07-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I would like to get some opinions to see if I am on the right track or out in left field with what I am about to do. I am replacing my Clarion APX400.4 amplifier for the interior speakers and the sub with a Kicker ZX700.5 I have all of the components already so I do not need suggestions of what to use just if I am wiring it correctly. The picture looks like I might have 3 different line drivers but it is one with three sets of connectors. I do not care about fading any of the speaker sets but I do want to turn down the tower speakers and am going to use the LC1 for this. Thanks

Domsz06
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
looks good to me.

spharis
07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
The only issue I see is that you are using a single output to send signal to three amps. What is the volt rating on the XMD3 RCA outputs? Answer that and then check with Philwailz to see if it is an acceptable number for the Kicker amp you have.

Domsz06
07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
I have the same deck and it worked for my amps. Just an FYI. Granted I have now upgraded, but until I added the extra 3 amps it worked great.

If you go bigger, that head unit may not work, like mine when you turn an input source up all the way, just FYI.

but then again my HU could have been bad from the beginning.

dogbert
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
but then again my HU could have been bad from the beginning.

It has an inferiority complex from the rest of your system :D

Domsz06
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
ha ha ha your so funny! you guys sure are ragging on me about my system!:)

dogbert
07-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Nah, we're all jealous. :ro:

billspin
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I am using the Phoenix Gold Tantrum LD66 Line Driver. It has three separately controlled channels that each is capable of outputting up to 8 Volts RMS. I currently have this connected to the tower speakers and it really makes a difference in the signal. Thanks

Domsz06
07-20-2007, 06:11 PM
you will have no prob!!

philwsailz
07-20-2007, 07:19 PM
For a KICKER ZX700.5, you can run all of the amp with a single set of RCA cables. Connect from the line driver to AMP1 and it will "daisy" to AMP2 and to the SUB amp as well.

Lots less wire, and less chance for ground loops and/or noise.

Need to adjust bass? Use the bass level control know provided with the amplifier.

At that point you could get away with using just the fader control on the H/U deck if you want to control tower speaker volume. I still like inserting a gain-cutting know between the H/U and the tower amp, but you have the option of using the fader since you do not intend to fade the boat speakers...

FYI-
Phil

philwsailz
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Nah, we're all jealous. :ro:

What he said...

We all need to meet my Swedish friend Sish Tym Ynvee

dogbert
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM

:confused:

da.bell
07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
What he said...

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the pictures????????????????? Hello!!!!!! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Domsz06
07-20-2007, 08:58 PM
what da.bell said!:)

spharis
07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
For a KICKER ZX700.5, you can run all of the amp with a single set of RCA cables. Connect from the line driver to AMP1 and it will "daisy" to AMP2 and to the SUB amp as well.

Lots less wire, and less chance for ground loops and/or noise.

Need to adjust bass? Use the bass level control know provided with the amplifier.

At that point you could get away with using just the fader control on the H/U deck if you want to control tower speaker volume. I still like inserting a gain-cutting know between the H/U and the tower amp, but you have the option of using the fader since you do not intend to fade the boat speakers...

FYI-
PhilThere you go......use the pass throughs.

Phil, I find that I don't get an acceptable amount of control using the bass line wipers. Are the ones included with the Kicker amps for a specific range, or do they lower the input levels? If they are like most (boosting 45Hz) then I would opt for at minimum 2 sets of RCAs to the amps. One dedicated to the sub.

CP3
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
what is a line driver?

billspin
07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
The phoenix Gold Tantrum LD66 Line Driver is a device that will boost the signal from the head unit up to as high as 8 Volts RMS. I believe the Clarion XMD3 is normally outputting about 2 Volts. This gives the benefit of higher input level to the amplifiers and thus higher output levels. Another benefit is that the higher voltage allows me to run with a much lower gain setting on the amps. I learned about this when I wired my tower speakers a couple of years ago and was not pleased with the output. This is an older model and I do not think it is offered any longer. If it ever goes south I will definitely find a replacement. It makes a great difference.

philwsailz
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
There you go......use the pass throughs.

Phil, I find that I don't get an acceptable amount of control using the bass line wipers. Are the ones included with the Kicker amps for a specific range, or do they lower the input levels? If they are like most (boosting 45Hz) then I would opt for at minimum 2 sets of RCAs to the amps. One dedicated to the sub.

The KICKER 700.5 has both bass boost AND remote level for the sub section.

Bass boost is centered at 40 Hz and is not remote.

Sub level IS remote, and set up correctly, (i.e. with a knowledgeable operator who can understand signs of clipping) the REMOTE sub level does a good job of removing the need for a second set of RCA cables.

CP3
07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
where can you get a good line driver?

billspin
07-24-2007, 02:03 AM
This is the one I am using. http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-TLD66-6-CHANNEL-LINE-DRIVER-TANTRUM-TLD-66_W0QQitemZ5857588420QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14932QQrd Z1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

CP3
07-24-2007, 03:29 AM
so that can boost the signal to three outputs?

billspin
07-24-2007, 03:42 AM
3 in and 3 out each adjustable independent from the others.

CP3
07-24-2007, 04:45 AM
and thats so you dont stare the amps cuz the hu doesnt supply enough power?

billspin
04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
xpjim1
Here is the latest diagram. I have attached a word doc I created. For some reason the diagram picture needs to be resized to see all of the words in the boxes. If this does not come through very good send me an email and I will send it to you through email.

xpjim1
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
billspin

Thanks. It came through perfect

xpjim1