PDA

View Full Version : Clarion XMD3 outputs

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 04:52 AM
I am having my sound system installed and the local dealer mentioned that I may have to upgrade my HU because it may not have sub outputs. Does the Clarion XMD3 have sub outputs?

Coach
02-22-2007, 05:20 AM
http://www.clarion-eu.com/uk/Marine_main_unit.556+M5fa39364528.0.html

Looks like it does (says subwoofer level control)

xpjim1
02-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Yes it does

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
I thought it did also until I read the infomation that said "4channel output, front + rear or sub". I have 6 cabin speakers and the Wetsounds threesom on the tower with two 4 chanel amps. I am assuming that some HU's have a sperate set of outputs for the sub with the fronts and rears.

xpjim1
02-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Ok Now I could be wrong. I think my front and rear all are on one output with y connectors and the sub is on the other output. Now I have to go and look for the manual. Hope I have it here.

Sorry:confused:

spharis
02-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Yes. Many head units have 6 pre amps.

You can use splitters and not loose too much output. It is better to use the amplifiers pass through though.

chpthril
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Does this help?

From my Clarion XMD3:

Gray (red) front right
Gray (white) front left

black (red) rear right
black (white) rear left

red (red) aux input right
red (white) aux input left

purple (red) non fader right
purple (white) non fader left

I think the NON FADER is the base output?

mtnsmith
02-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Also, if you don't have the owner's manual I found it to be fairly helpful, I posted it in a thread a little while ago. You can print it out if you want since it is a pdf.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2198&highlight=xmd3+manual

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Does this help?

From my Clarion XMD3:

Gray (red) front right
Gray (white) front left

black (red) rear right
black (white) rear left

Sounds right-you don't need to fade the sub. Thanks

spharis
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Non-faded means the "fade" adjustment has no effect on that channel. It plays full left and full right.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Also, if you don't have the owner's manual I found it to be fairly helpful, I posted it in a thread a little while ago. You can print it out if you want since it is a pdf.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2198&highlight=xmd3+manual

Thanks, I printed it this morning, but it does not include any wiring or output diagrams. Seems odd. Must be in a another manual that came with the unit.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
User manual. No wiring schemas.
http://www.prodigit.net/clarionDB/manual/2004/operation/4400/XMD3-EU.pdf

Odd. Must be seperate. I had hoped for a shot of the back of the unit. Chpthril probably has it right.

mtnsmith
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I have my front output going to the amp for the cabin speakers and the sub amp plugs into that amp. The amp for the tower speakers goes off of the rear output. That way I can fade front or rear to higher or lower the tower speaker volume.

spharis
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah I did some quick searching, and got nil. I think that HU is specific to Europe as well. Clarion has no info on it on the US site. Everything I found was from Mastercraft owners with the same questions, or from European websites.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah I did some quick searching, and got nil. I think that HU is specific to Europe as well. Clarion has no info on it on the US site. Everything I found was from Mastercraft owners with the same questions, or from European websites.

I think Mtnsmith has it right, however, I have two amps not three. I do want to fade from top to bottom though.

spharis
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah, he's "spot on". That's probably the easiest method to adjust the tower and cabin levels, without buying line wipers.

spharis
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Does this help?

From my Clarion XMD3:

Gray (red) front right
Gray (white) front left

black (red) rear right
black (white) rear left

I couldn't find a picture with all three outputs. there must be different revs on the HU. Your's being a newer one.

best photo I found; only has the input (red) and the outputs (gray and black).

http://www.car-music.ru/articles-respond-solo/0679-679/0679-679_04.jpg

mtnsmith
02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
My head unit only has to outputs, not three. That is the reason I daisy chained the sub off of the cabin amp so I could turn those down by fading to the rear and have the tower speakers loud. Are you still planning to use any of the high power speaker connections from the head unit still?

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:29 PM
My head unit only has to outputs, not three. That is the reason I daisy chained the sub off of the cabin amp so I could turn those down by fading to the rear and have the tower speakers loud. Are you still planning to use any of the high power speaker connections from the head unit still?

That was the plan, but with two amps.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I couldn't find a picture with all three outputs. there must be different revs on the HU. Your's being a newer one.

best photo I found; only has the input (red) and the outputs (gray and black).

I did find the wiring diagram on Clarions site for the CMD4. Looks similiar to your picture.

spharis
02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I did find the wiring diagram on Clarions site for the CMD4. Looks similiar to your picture.

Across the back of that left to right:
Antenna -> Clarion's controller input (for changers etc) -> wiring harness(contains power, channel leads, remote turn on, antenna, etc, etc) -> top:inputs and outputs (red (input), gray&black(front&rear), bottom: the solid black cable is probably an input for a wired remote.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Didn't see the word "sub" or "sub out" anywhere...

mtnsmith
02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
The thick black one is for remote/s.

There is no dedicated sub output.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Not what I wantd to hear, but thanks for all the research.

lee
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Here you go.

Razzman
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
This is the reason I'm going with the Pioneer DEH-4900ib. Three pre-outs F/R/S and it has built in iPod capability now, no more add-on iPod box. Retails for $179 and i found it on eBay for $122 + $15 to ship. :D

xpjim1
02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Here is a picture of the back of the XMD3. 2 RCA outs and 1 input.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like I need to research a new HU.

spharis
02-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Why?....you are only running 2 amps.

TigeDuner
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
How, then would you suggest I connect my speakers? I have 2 four channel amps. All of my info is on the battery thread that I posted. I can then forward any ideas to the Tige dealer. I also have an existing small 2 channel clarion amp in the boat now that powers the 6 cabin speakers that could be utilized. Thanks

lee
02-22-2007, 09:54 PM
How, then would you suggest I connect my speakers? I have 2 four channel amps. All of my info is on the battery thread that I posted. I can then forward any ideas to the Tige dealer. I also have an existing small 2 channel clarion amp in the boat now that powers the 6 cabin speakers that could be utilized. Thanks

Use a "y" cable for two of the amps.

chpthril
02-23-2007, 01:23 AM
I have the XMD3 and 2 amps also, it basicly breaks down like this:

5 ch amp running sub and 6 cabin speakers off of the rear outputs (black)
4 ch amp running 4 the 4 tower speakers of the non-fader output (purple)

I had Kicker on the phone for about 1/2 hr going over every thing to make sure this was the best way to use what I had.

I'm not using the "front output (gray)" as I dont neet to fad back and fourth between the bow and cabin speakers. This way I can add in my fader knobs at the helm like Talltige and some others have done :)

I dont know how the 6 cabin speakers are wired up to the 4 channels :confused: so I cant help there.
TigeDuner I think you could do what you want w/ the Clarion HU.

mtnsmith
02-23-2007, 02:38 AM
The cockpit (back) speakers are probably wired in parallel.

spharis
02-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Many amps also have a switch to use the single input for all channels.

Razzman
02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Many amps also have a switch to use the single input for all channels.

So what's the benfit of that SP? My Orions have that as well. I'm parallel wiring the four cabin speakers on channels 1/2 and bridging 3/4 for the sub. The 2 channel amp is for the towers.

spharis
02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
It keeps the RCA voltage up....if you use a "y" adapter, the voltage on the RCA is reduced, so you have a lower voltage signal, requiring you to turn up the amplifier Gain control to match the headunit. With a low voltage to start with, it may be outside of a useable range by the amp, and the signal may start to clip.

Using the switch usually just shorts the channel inputs to share the same input signal for both. It has the same effect as the "y"cable in that a single output is driving multiple channels, and depending on the amp, the voltage stays to an unaltered level. You plug one set of RCAs into the amp, and the amp will get signal for both sets of inputs (assuming a 4 channel amp)

rushin
02-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Does the Clarion XMD3 have sub outputs?

Yes it does however, there is a setting that you have to go into in the menu on the head unit. I do not remember what it is off hand. I'll see if I can find it.

I had some probs with mine and then I set it up in the menu and it worked great.

I have three amps hooked up to mine and I think it is the grey one that is split.

Jeff T
02-25-2007, 01:17 AM
So what is the conclusion...can you run 3 amps out of this head unit? I just assumed you could, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. I'm running 3 amps: 1) 4-channel to deck speakers 2)4 Channel to Tower Speakers and 3)Mono to Sub amp.

Should I start looking for a new head unit? I also have two clarion remotes (1 on dash and one on transom). If I got a new hu, would I have to get different remotes as well?

chpthril
02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
So what is the conclusion...can you run 3 amps out of this head unit? I just assumed you could, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. I'm running 3 amps: 1) 4-channel to deck speakers 2)4 Channel to Tower Speakers and 3)Mono to Sub amp.

Should I start looking for a new head unit? I also have two clarion remotes (1 on dash and one on transom). If I got a new hu, would I have to get different remotes as well?

I think you could use the Clarion and three amps, but I also think you could do the same thing with 2 amps.

Jeff T
02-25-2007, 01:28 AM
I think you could use the Clarion and three amps, but I also think you could do the same thing with 2 amps.

I would love to hear how:

-Wetsounds Pro80s powered by kicker 650.4 (bridged) (essentially got the amp for free)
-Kicker Solo 12L5 powered by kicker 750.1
-6 Deck speakers powered by kicker 350.4

chpthril
02-25-2007, 01:43 AM
I would love to hear how:

Does this help?

From my Clarion XMD3:

Gray (red) front right
Gray (white) front left

black (red) rear right
black (white) rear left

Gray pre-outs could run the 6 cabin speakers off the Kicher 350.4

Black pre-outs could run the Wetsounds through the Kicker 650.4

Purple pre-outs will power the sub through the Kicker 750.1

I'm no expert, put I dont know why this wouldn't work?

Jeff T
02-25-2007, 02:28 AM
LOL. I was thinking you meant power the system with 2 amps instead of 3. My bad.

chpthril
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
LOL. I was thinking you meant power the system with 2 amps instead of 3. My bad.

You could do it w/2 amps, if you had the 5 ch amp though :D

Jeff T
02-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Yea, I thought about trying to use a 2 amp setup. I got a the 650.4 basically for free. I wasn't going to amp the deck speakers, so I just bought the mono for the sub. After the fact, I decided to put a small amount of power to the deck speakers, so I bought the 350.4.

chpthril
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Yea, I thought about trying to use a 2 amp setup. I got a the 650.4 basically for free. I wasn't going to amp the deck speakers, so I just bought the mono for the sub. After the fact, I decided to put a small amount of power to the deck speakers, so I bought the 350.4.

If it's fee........it's for me :D I think your set up will be sweet.

TigeDuner
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
My original plan was to use the fader to fade from the tower to the cabin? Is this not possible if the sub uses one of the sets of outputs or is the sub connected in a different way?

mtnsmith
02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
My original plan was to use the fader to fade from the tower to the cabin? Is this not possible if the sub uses one of the sets of outputs or is the sub connected in a different way?

Did we ever figure out if your HU had two or three sets of outputs? As I said, my HU only has two sets, one that is "Front" and one that is "Rear". I connected the cabin speaker amp to the front output and then the sub amp to the cabin speaker amp, that way if I fade to front it turns up the cabin speakers. I hooked up the tower speakers amp to the rear output and so if I fade rear it turns up the tower speakers. If you do have a third output, sub output, which a couple people have said theirs does, I am not sure if fading to the front or rear would effect the sub or not. You might just have to hook it up and see or try it with a multi-meter.

TigeDuner
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately, it has two sets of outputs. However, you can configure one set of outputs to be a non-fader sub output.

mtnsmith
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Here is how mine is wired. The cabin speaker amp is a clarion that has an input and an output that alows a second amp to be connected to it for the signal.

TigeDuner
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I have two 4 channel amps-I am assuming that I can connect the sub to the cabin speaker amp. When I fade to the tower, I will loose the sub though. I suppose that could work.

chpthril
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Dont know how well this will work.......but could you use a couple of remote faders between the HU and amps, and maybe "Y" off to the sub amp ( I know this will reduce the signal) before the remote fader so it (the sub amp) would recieve a constant signal from the HU.

TigeDuner
02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I am continuing to think I need a HU with 3 sets of outputs.

mtnsmith
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I have two 4 channel amps-I am assuming that I can connect the sub to the cabin speaker amp. When I fade to the tower, I will loose the sub though. I suppose that could work.

That is correct, the sub fades with the cabin speakers. The sub has no effect on the boarder riding 75 feet behind the boat so I feel that is perfectly acceptable.

dogbert
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
That is correct, the sub fades with the cabin speakers. The sub has no effect on the boarder riding 75 feet behind the boat so I feel that is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, the sub isn't going to do the boarder behind your boat any good anyway, so tying it to the tower speaker volume would be a waste.

Jeff T
02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Here is how mine is wired. The cabin speaker amp is a clarion that has an input and an output that alows a second amp to be connected to it for the signal.

This is what I plan to do. I think the kicker amps have outputs as well.

mtnsmith
02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
This is what I plan to do. I think the kicker amps have outputs as well.

They should.

TigeDuner
02-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Yeah, the sub isn't going to do the boarder behind your boat any good anyway, so tying it to the tower speaker volume would be a waste.

This sounds like my best option. Both amps are 4 channel and put out 800 watts RMS so one goes to the Wetsounds on the tower and the other runs the 6 cabin speakers and the sub. I sould be able to fade between the tower and the cabin, and the sub has a control knob. I would also assume that if the Wetsounds are at 50%, the cabin at 50%, the sub should be hitting hard enough for those in the boat.

MRMoffat1
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Boat's in for new Amp and Sub this week. I've asked the stereo guy to wire mine up this way. He seemed to think it was ok, but he has not started yet.

spharis
02-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Somebody gets an "A" for effort.....nice chart mang! Those WA-061's are 8 ohms????? And I would change the x-over setting on the tower speakers to "all pass" They'll be able to take it. if you do use "high-pass", then I would lower it to about 60Hz from 120.....120 is pretty high; a 6" driver will have no problems with 60-75 Hz for its rolloff. Same for the other cabin speakers.....turn them to between 60Hz and 80Hz depending on driver size and sound. The woofer you want maximum of 80, I usually use 70-75 depending on the sound I get out of my mids. Tune it for you, but those are some good starting points.

MRMoffat1
02-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Somebody gets an "A" for effort.....nice chart mang! Those WA-061's are 8 ohms????? And I would change the x-over setting on the tower speakers to "all pass" They'll be able to take it. if you do use "high-pass", then I would lower it to about 60Hz from 120.....120 is pretty high; a 6" driver will have no problems with 60-75 Hz for its rolloff. Same for the other cabin speakers.....turn them to between 60Hz and 80Hz depending on driver size and sound. The woofer you want maximum of 80, I usually use 70-75 depending on the sound I get out of my mids. Tune it for you, but those are some good starting points.

Great advice. Correct - 8 ohms, 75W. I'm not sure if there is math formula on showing a match or not to the 120W @ 4ohm amp to maximize output - or if it's measure, the amp does not have a spec for an 8ohm load. Dave at Wake-Audio recommended the 120 setting, but it's simple on the Kicker's to adjust to 60. Good - I will use the 75Hz starting for main and sub - not sure I had a good plan. Thanks.

MRMoffat1
03-01-2007, 04:58 AM
Somebody gets an "A" for effort.....nice chart mang! Those WA-061's are 8 ohms????? ......

Spharis - thanks for the "A". I've been working on the diagram (using Visio), since June 06 (one month after taking delivery).

Question on 8 ohm speakers: better or worse than 4 ohm speakers of the same Watts rating?

thatch222
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the 14 pin connector that goes in the back of the XMD3. I pulled the unit out of my boat yesterday and pulled the red lead out of the connector and do not know which open slot in should go back in.
Thanks