PDA

View Full Version : Best Crossover Boat?

Donnieb
09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a great crossover boat. I want something that I can use on the slalom course and my kids can use for wakeboarding and the entire family can use for surfing.

I've heard good things about the Tige from the Tige sales rep, but I've also heard good things from the Malibu rep about their boats and the Natique rep about their SV211 (which is apparently the only V-Drive approved for Class 3 slalom tournament skiing).

I've also read the Tige Discussion Board about ballasts for surfing, and it seems like you need a ballast to really get a great wake. That seems to defeat the overall design of the Tige, as having a fat-sack in the boat is a hassle (I'd rather have it built in).

Also...I live in the Seattle area...anyone have a Tige out here?

Thanks.
Donnieb

dogbert
09-22-2006, 06:32 PM
The only way to know for sure whether or not you'll be happy with your purchase is to try them. Bring one of your kids and your stick and tell the dealers you want to ski/wakeboard behind each one.

scottcarlye
09-22-2006, 06:41 PM
We have an 06' 21i. We bought it as a cross-over boat. It does well on the slalom course at 34mph and 15', 22', 28' off. Shorter than that you get a rooster tail and longer there is a bump. Slower than 28-30 MPH there is a BIG bump. We also wakeboard, surf and skate behind it. It does well at each. For kids, no ballast will be needed wakeboarding and skating. To surf, 4 people and one fat sac in the trunk will give you a waist high wave to ride. It is as good or better wake than v-drive nautiques and centurions I have been behind plus there is way more room. contrary to popular opinion, you get more room to stretch out in a direct drive vs. a v-drive. Unless you like rubbing knees and feet with everyone onboard stick with a direct drive. Use fat-sacs instead of factory tanks in the 21i. The tank takes up most of the trunk. With sacs, you can still use the trunk when they are empty. You can mount a permanant pump, plumb it to the drain plug and use sacs with quick-disconnects instead of the factory setup. Its cheaper and more practical. I would also recommend getting perfect pass instead of accuset if you are going to ski a course. the accuset take too long to stablize at a speed. Our lake doesnt have enough run up room for the speed to settle down before the start gates. Its a tough goal to have no wake at 32 MPH and a huge wake at 20MPH but the 21i does a pretty respectable job at both. As far a sacs defeating the design of the hull, the TAPS does more wake shaping than enlarging. You will still need ballast it you want to go big. The TAPS then allows you to change the shape.

scottcarlye
09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Ditto what dogbert says. Ski and wakeboard them all. Drive and ski them loaded like you will use them. The best measure of how the boat skis/boards is at the end of a rope. We tested them all.

Moki
09-22-2006, 09:24 PM
I looked seriously at the Malibus before I purchased my Tige. My impression was that Malibu didn't do as well in the cross-over boat category, they make a good wakeboard boat and they make a good waterski boat. To me, Tige seemed like the clear leader with its TAPS technology.

My neighbor special ordered a Wakesetter with V25 Diamond hull instead of the V25 Wake hull to get a better crossover boat. I am very happy with my Tige purchase, but if you decide to go with the Malibu, I would look at special ordering a boat with the above configuration.

TeamAllen
09-23-2006, 02:53 AM
If you read Waterski Magazine, there is a boat buyers guide every year. It ranks each boat from each manufacturer.

The 21i seamed to rank high in all three categories. According to the way I remember the numbers, it was the most versatile boat in the Tige' lineup.

You probably can look them up from this link Waterski Mag Boat Buyers Guide (http://www.waterskimag.com/boats.jsp)

Of course, demo all that you are interested in.

Donnieb
09-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming :)

I've looked at Water Ski Magazine online, but it looks like every boat gets a good review, so it's hard for me to put that much stock in their reviews. I wonder if they can be that objective (since each of the manufacturers are advertisers with the magazine).

Originally posted by Moki
My neighbor special ordered a Wakesetter with V25 Diamond hull instead of the V25 Wake hull to get a better crossover boat. I am very happy with my Tige purchase, but if you decide to go with the Malibu, I would look at special ordering a boat with the above configuration.

Hi Moki! This is one option I'm looking at -- putting a diamond cut hull on the Wakesetter. Malibu has a diamond cut hull that is brand new for 07, and it's supposed to be better than the one they use on their tournament certified Response LXi ski boat. How does your neighbor like his boat?

guinness
09-24-2006, 12:46 AM
I was hell bent on getting a malibu wakesetter with the diamond hull as I like to slalom and my son likes to wakeboard. (I have recently taken up wakeboarding and haven't touched the slalom ski in about a month now...lol) Anyway, I finally found a VLX with the diamond hull and drove it....and I hated it. The hull is not made for that boat. It floated all over the place and could not hold a line very well. Later on during my search, I drove a Tige 22ve, and now I own a 2007 22Ve....Love it! The taps system does a very good job of flattening the wake out for skiing and ramping it up for boarding. We just tried surfing for the first time the other day...no ballast, three people in the back and had a huge wake with a curl. No, I'm not a sales rep (although I just got a Tige shirt in the mail that makes me look like one as a thank you for purchasing the boat), I'm just really happy with the boat (pics are coming soon)

Good luck in your search and make sure you drive the V drive with a diamond hull before you order one.

kko
09-24-2006, 01:22 AM
my two cents= from a mechanic that works on all brands of inboards i would say stay away from the bu. sv211 money will get you a 22ve and the 22ve much larger more verstile/adjustable boat IMO. i would also suggest a look at the 20v a lower price point that will do everything you are looking for. but by all means if a 22ve is in your budget its the one to have you can never have to much space. but a test drive of all brands is always a must. im sure your gona love the tige.let us know how it turns out. post some pics of your new boat. good luck let us know if you have anymore ?? the folks on this forum are a mighty helpful bunch.

Escondido
09-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Donnieb,

Can't stress enough what the others have said about testing all the boats. You will learn a lot about the boats on the water. I spent a lot of time looking this spring before ordering the 22ve. Made a point of at least driving the MC, Malibu, Nautique and the Tige. There are subtle differences between each one that you will discover. I was coming from an 18' I/O and thought the whole test driving thing was overrated since I had no experience in this type of boat. Didn't figure I could tell any difference since I had no experience. That was totally wrong. It's not BS. Get on the water and see what you like.

For us it came down to the Malibu with a diamond hull and the Tige.

As an example for personal preference, I thought the diamond hull on the VLX performed better than the wake hull. I thought it was a very good crossover option. Guinness thought is was sloppy and I felt like it was on rails (sharp handling). Just two opinions. You will have to decide for yourself. I love my Tige but would like to have some of the malibu features.

As for the SV211, from a performance standpoint it was great. I just wouldn't want to spend any more time in the boat than I had to. I found it very cramped and uncomfortable. The seating capacity is overstated. You could buy the 20v that KKO mentioned and have the same amount of room and a ton of money to spend on toys.

For a great cross-over boat I would choose between the Tige or the Malibu with the diamond hull for the v-drives. But if you are really dedicated to the slalom course maybe the v-drives are not the best choice. Seems like you need to buy the best boat for the slalom course and then you can add weight to it for wakeboarding.

I am sure somebody who is more dedicated to skiing can comment on that.

Just my $.02.

Good luck with the decision.

laketime
09-28-2006, 12:15 AM
we one an 03 21 i and love it. i never ski behind, i only board. my mom and dad do occasionally though and really like the wake at about 32-35. i dont have any complaints on the wake for boarding. its not the biggest wake that tige has, but it is rider freindly and comfortable and has awesome ramp for its size. i can land all of my tricks with no ballest no problem. lately weve been filling 2 sacs and that creates a wake more like a v drive would.

i wish i could tell you more about it for skiing, but when your at ski speed the wake disapears.
its a great crossover boat that handles great and it handles rough water very well.

laketime
09-28-2006, 12:17 AM
forgot to recomend a test drive thats the only way you will be able to tell if its right for you.

FIC
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Being qualfied for class 3 slalunm doesnt mean that the SV 211 has a better wake it only means that it passed a specified performance test. By far Tiges have the best crossover boats and the other brands are trying to play catch up. Dom@ Fortes Inboard Connection

Donnieb
09-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

FIC -- Since the SV 211 uses the Class 3 certification in it's marketing materials (and it helps convince people like me that it's a great waterskiing boat), why doesn't Tige get certified too?

Thanks!

FIC
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Tige does have a certified boat which is the 20i , my dealership owns the boat that was used for certification . It has a 6.0 L marine power and we sponsor the Tampa Bay Waterski Show Team with this boat. Our team has won 3 back to back southern reginal tournaments and this past weekend we won the sunshine state invitational. The boat has been performed perfectly. Dom@ Fortes Inboard Connection

Donnieb
09-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Hi FIC. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to see if Tige has any V-Drives that are certified (not direct drives). That's what made me think the SV 211 is such a special boat (since it's a V-Drive). Do you know if any of their V-Drives are certified?

Thanks.
Don

dogbert
09-29-2006, 03:34 AM
A couple of guys I know that ride a lot are saying that the 22Ve has a better slalom wake than the 22i.

FIC
09-29-2006, 12:05 PM
I dont believe any of the Tiges V drives is certified however ,the unique feature of Tige boats is there hull is the same v drive or direct so if the i performance is good I think you will find the V to be equal , I personally found them to perform the same , I have run the slalunm at 22 off 31mph with no problem. Dom@ Fortes Inboard Connection.

Moki
10-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Donnieb
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming :)

Hi Moki! This is one option I'm looking at -- putting a diamond cut hull on the Wakesetter. Malibu has a diamond cut hull that is brand new for 07, and it's supposed to be better than the one they use on their tournament certified Response LXi ski boat. How does your neighbor like his boat?

Donnie B,
He really likes it, he likes it so much that he wishes he could buy the local dealership!

Donnieb
10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm getting a lot of feedback on other forums that the quality of a Tige isn't quite up to a Malibu, CC or MC. Thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Donnieb

Tanner
10-05-2006, 11:42 PM
What forum are you looking at, and what boat do those people that are telling you that own? Remember that anyone who owns a boat is gonna say they have the best brand. Then you have the people that don't own a boat, but their dad's cousin's, friend's, uncle owns Brand X and says Brand Y is crap b/c his is the best. So take what you hear on forums w/ a HUGE grain of salt. Sticking w/ talking to owners and get their positives and their negatives. Then compare those. If they say there are no negatives, then disregard EVERYTHING they've told you b/c there's not a boat out there that the owner wouldn't change at least one thing.

All three are great boats, and everyone has their preference. Some say that the Malibu's fit and finish is the best out there, I didn't think it was all that great personally. I actually preferred the Tige's. As for the CC, well, no doubt about it, great boat. I still chose the Tige after a rough water comparison... not to mention I HATEEEEE their layouts and their freeboard sucks. The Mastercrafts, well another great boat... just wasn't for me. I hated their pod guages. I know I know, something trivial, but if I was gonna spend another 15-20K more over the Tige I better love every inch of the boat. Test drive all of them, in rough water if you can. That will help you decide. There's a reason why Tige has a 98% closing ratio on the water .... and yes I was one of those 98% :D

Here's is something that speaks alot to me though... I borrowed this from our gallery here, but find another boat w/ any point this thick! And yes it is a good thing.

http://tigeowners.com/photos/data/500/2047DSC00309_1_.jpg

Moki
10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm getting a lot of feedback on other forums that the quality of a Tige isn't quite up to a Malibu, CC or MC. Thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Donnieb

I honestly think that is a line that they tell themselves because they paid so much more for their boats.

Donnieb
10-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Does anyone know how many wakeboard/ski boats Tige sells each year? How many Malibu sells? Nautique? Mastercraft?

Thanks.
DonnieB

Tanner
10-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Donnie should that really be a factor when your dealing w/ the large companies that have been around for a while and have a proven track record?

Bu sells the most, then Mastercraft, then not sure how things fall from there.

FIC
10-06-2006, 11:56 AM
They sell more Ford Taurus's then Mercedes , would you rather drive a Taurus or a Mercedes. Dom@ Fortes Inboard Connection

mtnsmith
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
With the numbers of being sold, a big factor of that has been Tige's ability to supply. Until recently they just did not have the production facility to keep up with the huge numbers of the other three. If you consider that Tige only has something like 80 dealers world wide, I'd say those dealers are doing a pretty darn good job getting the product out there. I can say that the solid feel on the water of the Tige beats all others. A few layout things like the seats not being hinged and the ski pylon not retracting are as stated before, trivial. The on the fly adjustability with the TAPS system really set in on my test drive and that made us one of the 98% to be closed after a test drive, we really weren't even looking for a boat but my dealers willingness to simply "drop the boat in" and let me even board behind it sold us. The boat we traded in was only 1 year old, a sea ray so it was not even comparable for wakeboarding. If rough water is in your future definitely run the boats in rough water or make your own rough water to go through. Don't let them have the ballast full when trying to sell you on the smooth ride since you won't be cruising with the ballast full. That will always make the boat ride a little smoother as you pound through some chop.

Moki
10-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by FIC
They sell more Ford Taurus's then Mercedes , would you rather drive a Taurus or a Mercedes. Dom@ Fortes Inboard Connection

Very good point!

laketime
10-06-2006, 06:56 PM
the reason mc and bu can sell for so much more is becouse people who have more money than they know what to do with are going to buy the most expensive boat they can without doing research. there's a fam in my neighberhood that bought a spanky new x-star at our boat show. it was a total impolse buy. they have used it twice this whole year and only tubed and they can somehow say they have the best boat cuz they payed the most yet they dont even know what they have. price is a status thing. not saying i wouldnt take that x-star cuz i would. but dont buy somthing becouse you just can. buy it for your needs.

Donnieb
10-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Tanner

Here's is something that speaks alot to me though... I borrowed this from our gallery here, but find another boat w/ any point this thick! And yes it is a good thing.

http://tigeowners.com/photos/data/500/2047DSC00309_1_.jpg

Hi Tanner. Quick question...is the thickness really a good thing? Obviously it makes the hull stronger, but it also makes the Tige much heavier. The pros are that a Tige can kick up a bigger wakeboard wake without ballasts and will likely work better in rough water. The cons...it will likely create a larger ski wake, right? Or does the TAPs system really take care of the wake?

Thanks.
Donnieb

dogbert
10-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi Tanner. Quick question...is the thickness really a good thing? Obviously it makes the hull stronger, but it also makes the Tige much heavier. The pros are that a Tige can kick up a bigger wakeboard wake without ballasts and will likely work better in rough water. The cons...it will likely create a larger ski wake, right? Or does the TAPs system really take care of the wake?

Thanks.
Donnieb

If you want the best ski wake, get a 19' or less tournament ski boat or an older Tige FSLM Comp (pretty much the same thing).

Otherwise, the Tige hull construction is always a good thing. Aside from the weight, it's also not going to fall apart or flex like less well constructed boats. I like the fact that most everything on my Tige is over-engineered.

Rough water handling is also a function of hull design. The convex V hull of my boat is like a huge rocker that works with TAPS to adjust wake shape and ride.

mtnsmith
10-07-2006, 12:13 AM
I would say that the combination of the unique hull shape(Covex V) and the TAPS creates as good a ski wake as the other "Crossover" options. My sister in-law that teaches skiing thinks that the wake is great. Unless actually using the boat in competition, the boat doesn't need to be certified to a specific class, besides, isn't the class that the 211 is certified for the lowest level of rating? I remember reading that on Wakeside I think.

kko
10-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks.
Donnieb yes the taps system will lift the back of the boat up and flatten the wake right out . test drive one you will see. for someone to suggest that tige are not built as well as cc,bu,mc is crazy.as for the numbers tige just moved into a new factory wich by the way is top knotch i was blown away thier numbers of production/sales are going to come up big time. when u test drive tige and realize your gona get a larger better boat for a comprable or less price it becomes an easy choice. when i say better i refer to performance,ride,adjustabilityof the wake,fuel economy and value again drive one you will see and feal the differance

Escondido
10-10-2006, 04:14 AM

Thanks.
Donnieb

I found the same thing last year when I was lookinig at boats, especially from CC and MC owners. While there were a few commetns from 'bu owners, the real hatred came from the CC and MC owners. It seems like they were more threatened by Tige than the other manufacturers. Probably trying to justify the premium they paid. I found the same thing at the boat shows. When I mentioned the different brands I was considering they would spend most of their pitch talking trash about the Tige and not about their boat.

All the brands are fine boats and it really comes down to personal choices and you really won't know until you have spent time in all of the boats. Have fun with the buying process and the right boat for you will become clear. It was for us once we drove all four of them. Trust your own instincts and ignore the haters. Some people just can't say anything nice.

You will probably be happy with any of the boats as long as you are buying from a good dealer. The support from your dealer will make or break the whole experience.

Good luck with your purchase

Donnieb
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! This is excellent feedback.

Here's a question. Where do the factory option ballasts sit? In the middle? Or are there ballasts on each side and in the middle (so you can put more weight on one side if you want to surf)? Are they in the hull so they don't take away from the storage space?

Thanks.
Donnieb

Escondido
10-10-2006, 05:08 AM
The ballast is not under the floor like some of the others so you will lose some storage with the ballast.

I didn't get the ballast for that reason with the plan of adding it down the road if I really needed it. It seems like the consensus on here, and with my dealer, was to go with an aftermarket system rather than the factory system. Something like the rival system.

That was one thing I liked about the 'bu was having the ballast built in on the wakesetter.

mtnsmith
10-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a 22v with the factory ballast and I would definitely get something like the Rival system. I don't like losing all my space to huge tanks that are empty most of the time anyways, infact I am prbably going to have to switch out the front tanks because my stereo system is requiring additional room in the front compartments. With the rival system you can also get more ballast for less money than the factory system.