PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I just installed my Fresh Air Exhaust system on my 22V. I thought I would post some pictures. There will be eight posts in all as I took eight pictures and do not know how to post multiple images.

This first picture is the exhaust system straight on from the back of the boat. The exhaust tubes that are attached to the boat angle up slightly to clear the TAP-II plate.

One disadvantage of the system is that you loose the ability to quickly remove the platform. To remove it now I would have to remove four bolts from the upper bracket where it fastens to the platform and then remove the platform. But how may times have I removed my platform? Once just to see how it was done. I suspect this may be a non-issue but something that needs to be known.

Also use marine adhesive caulk on the screws. There is a gasket for the exhaust mounts so no sealant is required on them. But you do need to seal the screw holes.

Well shucks, it did not post the image. Lets try in the next message.

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
This is the image
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_1.jpg
I have to host the blasted things on my web space as the attach file on this board does not seem to work.

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
This is looking up from the bottom showing the overall mounting of the system. I needed to use two existing screw holes in the teak platform for the upper brackets.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_2.jpg

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Since the files are hosted on my web space I will now try and do multiple images.

This is the mounting in the original exhaust ports. The flappers were removed and the mounts used the existing screw holes. The two upper screw were pan head, the two lower were bevel head screws. The two lower screws were replaced with pan head and the bevel head screws tossed in the scew drawer. Stainless steel naturally. Oh, and watch the pitch on the threads as you are better off getting something that matches.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_3.jpg
Next is the upper mouting brackets that mount into the teak platform. Care was needed to not drill the two additional holes all the way through. The lag screws provided will not penetrate all the way through missing by about 1/8 of an inch.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_4.jpg

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Next is the elbows. The welding was nicely done. Notice the support bolt is too long. I suspect a standard size is provided. This will be cutoff with a air powered rotary grinder when my friend gets back so I can borrow his grinder (I have the compressor).
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_5.jpg
Here you really see where the bolt is too long and how the elbows fit into the exhaust adapter.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_6.jpg

raythompson
04-08-2006, 07:41 PM
This is the "T" section. All the connections are double clamped. There was blue tape on the connections that you are not supposed to move as if you disconnect the fitting it is hard to get it back into place. You can also see some more mounting detail on the upper supports.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_7.jpg
And a final view of the finished installed (except for the bolt cuts). You can also clearly see the angle of the exhaust that will allow the TAPS plate to function properly.
http://home.comcast.net/~rayt435/A_8.jpg
Now all I need is some good weather. Today would be good except for the storms we had in Tennessee last night. There was a large amount of rain (2.5 inches at my house in 2 hours) and the river will be muddy and full of debris.

The installation was easy enough. I would recommend you have a friend to help hold the system. You have to attach the upper bracket to the exhaust system, then raise it and slip it on the exhaust adapters, then tighten the bolts into the platform. The system is not heavy just cumbersome to move and manipulate, especially when laying on your back.

I will post back when I use the boat to give my impression of how it actually works and whether it was worth it. I bought the system as my wife complained about the noise being louder than our old stern drive. Getting the exhaust under the water will help. Keeping the wifey happy is most important to enjoying one's toys and being able to buy more toys.

xpjim1
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Good Post Ray

Please post back yout thoughts and impressions after you go out in it. I am very interested as this is one of my potential upgrades this year.

Paublo
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the report- good pictures and explanation. It does look like high quality materials. We all look forward to your follow-up after the on water test.

dogbert
04-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I have one and it's awesome!

raythompson
04-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Did you notice the FAE affecting the wake or the operation of your TAPS?

Not having a chance to run the boat yet...Did it remarkably reduce the sound?

whitlock87
04-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I installed one on my boat a few weeks ago.
I do have a DB meter and I can tell you this. At an idle I lost 8 DB
(you can not tell the boat is running)
And at top end I lost 6 DB (at wakeboarding speeds I lost 5 DB.)

Now I know that 5 DB does not sound like much, but it is a lot. The deep base of the engine is completely gone. I can talk to my wife while the kids are boarding with out yelling. When I was boarding, all I could hear was the water under the board
(I had my wife leave the radio off as I wanted to see how loud the boat was)

I did lose some control off my TAPS.
I talked to Larry at FAE and he thinks that my down pipe is either to long or to close to my TAPS plate. He has me doing some adjustment to the down pipe angle to determine what the problem is. After the testing is done, he is going to be sending some new parts.

FAE is a really nice company to work with.
David

dogbert
04-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by whitlock87
I did lose some control off my TAPS.
I talked to Larry at FAE and he thinks that my down pipe is either to long or to close to my TAPS plate. He has me doing some adjustment to the down pipe angle to determine what the problem is. After the testing is done, he is going to be sending some new parts.

David,

You can move the down pipe angle pretty easily. I had to do it recently because my local repair shop didn't tighten it enough when they moved it to work on my rudder, prop & shaft. I had a different problem when I came off plane and the angle was to shallow. It started to cause a fountain right next to the rider when we were wake surfing.

Larry is a pretty cool guy and I know he'll fix you up.

Here's a picture of the install on my boat (done by Larry himself).

dogbert
04-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Here's how it looks from the back:

whitlock87
04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
here are some shots of my install

whitlock87
04-11-2006, 12:35 AM
One with the deck on

whitlock87
04-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Side view, you can see the tape that was talked adout.

Ruune
04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I like the idea of all the fumes being thrust into the propwash, but am I the only one that actually LIKES the drone of the 350 cubic inches of V-8 luvvin thats in the back of the boat?

CP3
04-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Runne- I love it too! Sometimes I used the fake-a-lake just to hear it out of water.

raythompson
04-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Ruune
I like the idea of all the fumes being thrust into the propwash, but am I the only one that actually LIKES the drone of the 350 cubic inches of V-8 luvvin thats in the back of the boat? I do, wifey doesn't. If you are married you know the result.

wrangler
04-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Ruune...I have to admit that I am completely with you on this one... I like the sound...the rumble...that feeling in your gut... If I have to drive wimpy cars for gas milage, I at least want my boat to sound manly...

wrangler
04-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Knock on wood, so far my wife has yet to complain about the boat being too loud... In ours, you can actually have a conversation with the person in the observer seat... In our last boat, there was no way to really talk... Now with the stereo kickin, all bets are off... Then she complains...:D

whitlock87
04-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Don’t get me wrong; I like the sound of a big engine as well, just not for 4 hours straight.

Also there is something really cool about floating up next to another boat that is sounding really beefy, and you are making no noise. He punches it so you do the same.
Next thing you know he is about 40 feet behind you and wondering what happened.

Now that’s what I like. (Small Tige BIG engine):D

(I loss the noise, not the POWER)

raythompson
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Several years ago I was with a friend that fishes. He had a friend that raced bass boats and this person offered me a ride in one of his racing boats. I could not refuse. Now the boat was an Allison with what looked liked a standard outboard engine. It was however a 4.3 liter racing engine under the cover with a high pitched prop and low water pickup. All the racing goodies you see.

Well we went out on the river and were doing about 50 mph when a chap in hopped up "chopper" boat comes up along side, looks at us, and then floors his boat. The chap I was riding with says "hold on" and he floors his boat. We blew past the guy in the chopper boat and watched his mouth drop for a split second. We kept on going and eventually reached a speed of about 96 mph.

The boat was riding on the prop and about 5 square inches of hull. It was scary as any small debris in the water would have tossed the boat in the air and it very well could have flipped. After about 3 minutes of this the chap slowed back down.

I never want to go that fast on water again. It also showed me that you cannot trust appearances and that non-descript little craft may have more than it appears. And surprisingly the racing boat was much quieter than the chopper boat, until you factored in the wind noise.

dogbert
04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by wrangler
Ruune...I have to admit that I am completely with you on this one... I like the sound...the rumble...that feeling in your gut... If I have to drive wimpy cars for gas milage, I at least want my boat to sound manly...

The same sound gets boring after a while...I'd rather hear my tunes behind the boat than my exhaust. Then again, I think Harley's are obnoxiously loud.

NICKYPOO
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by tweirich
Then again, I think Harley's are obnoxiously loud.

I thought I was the only one who hated the sound Harleys. However, the sound of a blown big block is the one of the best sounds on the planet to me. To me a Harley sounds like an overgrown lawn mower.

Ray, what do you mean when you say "chopper boat"? Was it a flat bottom or hydro, or one of those glorified runabouts with the crazy gelcoat and through hulls, offshore power boat mabey, or did it actually have handlebars? I'm assuming that was your first experience in a boat that will do 100mph? I know that first trip to 100 is a little unnerving but after my first trip to the century mark, all I wanted to do was do it again. One these days I will get me a flat bottom.

NICKYPOO
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Outboard eater.

NICKYPOO
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Let me try that again.

Outboard eater!

raythompson
04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by NICKYPOO
Ray, what do you mean when you say "chopper boat"?One of those boats that are low, no windshield, space for two, with a big V8 in the back with exhausts that stick out over the top of the hull, generally with a jet drive, and loud. A little more sedate than the picture that you posted, but along the same lines.

NICKYPOO
04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Ah hah, yeah, probably a squirt gun.

tony dunn jr.
04-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I am with the sound guys! Couldn't loose that.

Gschmidt1
04-13-2006, 01:56 AM
doesn't that thing mess with the wake?

dogbert
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Gschmidt1
doesn't that thing mess with the wake?

No, it doesn't. It's marginally wider than your rudder, so there's no noticeable difference.

TeamAllen
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Here is link for an evaluation of the FAE reducing Carbon Monoxide exposure during motor boating and wake surfing.

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/fae.pdf

Matt Garcia
06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Ray, I noticed your pictures are not appearing on this thread anymore?? If you dont want to host them send them to me and I will post them.

Thanks,
Matt

raythompson
06-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I had to remove the pictures from my server to make space for some other pictures. I will see if I still have the pictures and will get them to you. I will need instructions on how to you the pictures.

rollo
06-20-2006, 01:20 AM
did you loose any power and how much did it run ya $$$

dogbert
06-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by rollo
did you loose any power and how much did it run ya $$$

I'm sure I lost a mile or two at the top end, but no one I know barefoots, so it's not an issue. I lost no noticeable power. I think I paid something like $370. Here's their price list (http://www.boatpipes.com/FAE_PriceList.html).

dogbert
06-20-2006, 01:34 AM
:D

Matt Garcia
06-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by raythompson
I had to remove the pictures from my server to make space for some other pictures. I will see if I still have the pictures and will get them to you. I will need instructions on how to you the pictures.

Ray you can just zip them up and I will resize them or you can read this FAQ (http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1043)

rollo
06-20-2006, 02:02 AM
thanks for the info I like the sound sometimes
but I like the radio so much better lol

on the alison craft thing my boss is a bass fisherman and he has one.my sisters boy friend has a 454 in his boat and sets two people
rod with him a couple of time and his boat has nothing on my bosses fishing boat,It will run 110mph with no prob(it should be a law they cant go that fast just to go and fish lol)

Originally posted by dogbert
I'm sure I lost a mile or two at the top end, but no one I know barefoots, so it's not an issue. I lost no noticeable power. I think I paid something like $370. Here's their price list (http://www.boatpipes.com/FAE_PriceList.html).

dogbert
06-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by rollo
It will run 110mph with no prob(it should be a law they cant go that fast just to go and fish lol)

Well, at a minimum, seatbelts should be required so you don't fall out :)

raythompson
06-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Matt Garcia
Ray you can just zip them up and I will resize them or you can read this FAQ (http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1043) I no longer have the pictures. As for the FAQ I did all that to try and post the pictures. Proper size, proper dimensions, etc. Yet the pictures would never show in the post. So I hosted them on my own server and just provided a link. But alas, I did not keep a copy of the pictures.

Paublo
04-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I was out this weekend for the second time since my FAE installation. It is much quieter and for those who like the throaty big V-8 sound, don't install it. You won't like the quiet. It also occured to me this time while I was boarding- I can't hear the boat. At 75' behind the boat, I can't hear the engine. It is amazing and a different experience after being so used to hearing the engine sound.

I also noticed that I get a fair amount of spray that comes up from between the boat and platform that wets the back 18" of the rear hatch. That is the only negative so far. And I ordered mine with the quicker release hardward so I can take the platform off by only taking out two pins. Really qiuck and easy.

whitlock87
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I also noticed that I get a fair amount of spray that comes up from between the boat and platform that wets the back 18" of the rear hatch. That is the only negative so far. .

If you angel it up a little, the spray will go away.
I had the same problem, and I lost a little control of my taps. After talking to Larry, he had me change the angel (a little at a time) that did it!
:02:

Paublo
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
I'll give that a try, thanks.

wakeboarder247
04-29-2007, 07:51 AM
If you angel it up a little, the spray will go away.
I had the same problem, and I lost a little control of my taps. After talking to Larry, he had me change the angel (a little at a time) that did it!
:02:

So did you gain control of your taps again after angleing it up? I have been considering the FAE but love the sound of the motor, hate the look of the FAE, and would hate to lose the functionality of Tige's #1 trademark (TAPS)

scootc
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
We had our first outing a few weeks ago with the FAE. It definetely seems to be quieter, especially at cruise.

chpthril
04-29-2007, 12:01 PM
So did you gain control of your taps again after angleing it up? I have been considering the FAE but love the sound of the motor, hate the look of the FAE, and would hate to lose the functionality of Tige's #1 trademark (TAPS)

Unless the FAE is interfering with the movement of the TAPS, I dont think it can hinder the affect of the TAPS as it is adjusting the attitude of the boat and the shape of the wake coming of the hull. The FAE down pipe is as wide as the prop shaft strut and a little wider than the rudder.

Funny thing happens when my boat it in the water :D I cant see the FAE :p :ro: I have fallen in love with the quite now :cool:

The only adverse affect I have found is a little spray at surfing speed. I plan to adjust the angle today before we go out. You cant go wrong withe this Mod. :02:

dogbert
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Like anything else on your boat, it needs adjustment. The FAE should never interfere with your TAPS, if it does, it's been installed incorrectly. I had spray also and just played with it until went away.

As for the sound of the motor, you can still hear it inside the boat...it's just the rider doesn't have to listen to 90+ Db of exhaust noise. I'd rather be hearing the stereo :)

I'm with chpthril, you can't go wrong with this mod.

If you want to hear exhaust noise, go get a Harley :D

whitlock87
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Unless the FAE is interfering with the movement of the TAPS, I dont think it can hinder the affect of the TAPS as it is adjusting the attitude of the boat and the shape of the wake coming of the hull. The FAE down pipe is as wide as the prop shaft strut and a little wider than the rudder.

:
What happens with my boat was that the force of the engine exhaust and water would push the bow down at wakeboarding speeds. So it was like my Taps could only go from 1 to 4.
After changing the angel I got full control of my taps back.

whitlock87
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
An NO it was not hitting the taps plate!

chpthril
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
An NO it was not hitting the taps plate!

Just trying to speculate on some possibilities but not insinuating that you installed it wrong, sorry man. I guess there are still some unknowns out there and the more of these that are installed, the more we will see this kind of stuff pop up. :)

jacques2727
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
But doesn't routing the dual exhaust into one pipe seriously rob horsepower from the motor? You would think that this would really limit the airflow.

dogbert
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Not really. You really don't need pipes that big.

da.bell
05-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Jacques, Someone else in this form has commented on adding the FAE and said their top end speed was reduced by about 1-3 MPH. (chpthril?????). Reduction of top speed or having cleaner air behind the boat??? IMO, I'ld go for the cleaner air anytime...

dogbert
05-29-2007, 01:40 PM
BTW, the speed reduction is mainly from the additional drag, not the size of the exhaust.

CP3
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I personally LOVE the sound of my motor.

ragboy
05-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I personally LOVE the sound of my motor.

Me too. I thought alot about the FAE, and it just seems its too new of a mod for me right now. I will wait til the jury is out more. I can def smell exhaust when on the step when the boat is not moving, or maybe at idle moving, but I don't at all at surfing speed.

As far as the noise, I installed the infinity 6100M speakers with talkback, and can easily talkback to my kids while wakeboarding or surfing.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4172

jacques2727
05-30-2007, 02:01 AM
And I'd personally sacrafice the clean air for 1-3 mph and the sound of "Awesome" that the boat makes. Although I am new to this boating thing and the noise will probably get old with time...or not.
But seriously, the chrome FAE looks really cool. Nice work.

da.bell
05-30-2007, 02:05 AM
I agree. ScootC has a very nice SS setup. :bo:

dogbert
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Me too. I thought alot about the FAE, and it just seems its too new of a mod for me right now. I will wait til the jury is out more. I can def smell exhaust when on the step when the boat is not moving, or maybe at idle moving, but I don't at all at surfing speed.

As far as the noise, I installed the infinity 6100M speakers with talkback, and can easily talkback to my kids while wakeboarding or surfing.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4172

Seems like you went to a lot of expense to overcompensate for that loud motor. But, then again, I'm not a big fan of Harley motorcycles either.

I've had the FAE for a year and a half and I've had no issues. It's the first mod going on my next boat.

jleger98
06-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I just spent my first day on the water with my FAE installed. I have to say I love it. We surfed for 6 hours straight and the only time I smelled any exhaust at all was when we were at idle. As far as noise, we could actually have conversations with the rider (we had to turn the tunes down though :) ) because its so much quieter.

I would definatley recommend it. :02:

whitlock87
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
As far as noise, we could actually have conversations with the rider (we had to turn the tunes down though :) ) because its so much quieter.

I would definatley recommend it. :02:

Ya when the rider could talk to us, My wife said thats it, it stays on.

CP3
06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Ya when the rider could talk to us, My wife said thats it, it stays on.

do you guys mean when surfing?
if you mean wakeboarding....what about the wind and water splashing? I would think you couldnt hear because of that stuff.

whitlock87
06-11-2007, 03:01 PM
We can even talk to the guy on a Wakeboard with a 75' line.
( so about 65 feet out)

Ya you have to yell. But then can hear you.
(It’s harder to hear them, but if you kid is as load as mine, then no problem)
Also when they cut, you can hear the water under the board from inside the boat.
I have a DB meter; we went from 96 down to 67.
(I also insulated under the back bench and floor / tank cover to reduce Engine sound)

jleger98
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
do you guys mean when surfing?
if you mean wakeboarding....what about the wind and water splashing? I would think you couldnt hear because of that stuff.

No I mean surfing. Before we had to yell, now we can just talk. The majority of the noise is from the water, not the boat. We haven't wakeboarded yet....maybe tonight. Supposed to be winds around 15mph, but if they are out of the south, we can play on the south shore and be ok.

Juiceman831
10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Has anyone installed one on a 24V yet Id like to look at some of those pics cause it seems like some of your taps plates are kinda different. Sounds like an interesting item to look into since Ive taken on wakesurfin with wakeboarding too.

chpthril
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Has anyone installed one on a 24V yet Id like to look at some of those pics cause it seems like some of your taps plates are kinda different. Sounds like an interesting item to look into since Ive taken on wakesurfin with wakeboarding too.

I think Xpjim and Talltigeguy both have 05 24V's and I dont think Tige made any real changes to it for 06 since it was it's last year. I bet my 06 Ve is almost identical to your V.

Dr Mann does each one based on the dimensions of the boat, they are not a universal kit. My install went perfect. Had a little spray till I fine tuned the angle of the down spout. All good now :ro:

xpjim1
10-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Heres a link to my pictures on a 05 24V

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35622&postcount=1

whitlock87
10-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Sounds like an interesting item to look into since Ive taken on wakesurfin with wakeboarding too.

If you are going to WakeSurf, this is a must.:02:

spharis
10-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Does it really quieten the engine noise that much? I am still a skeptical bastard!

chpthril
10-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Does it really quieten the engine noise that much? I am still a skeptical bastard!

YES :ro:

xpjim1
10-10-2007, 03:02 AM
I took a friend out this weekend and he could not believe how quiet my boat was..

whitlock87
10-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Measured from the driver seat, I went from 80 Db at 15mph to 60, and then from 108db at 35mph to 82db.

So let’s put it this way, I only have a 200w amp for my tower speakers. Before you could not hear them if you where boarding. Now I have then detuned to 75%, and the boarder hears them just fine. Also I can talk (not yell) to others in the boat while driving.

dogbert
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Let me put it this way, you'll finally notice how loud the engine is inside your boat. You'll definitely be able to hear your speakers. It's a 75% reduction in Dbs.

samw
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
This will be my first mod this winter!!!! It's a little $$$$ but I think it will be worth the $$$$ with my 6 year starting to wakeboard and she really wants to start surfing. That may have to wait a bit but with kids spending more time behind the boat I think it will be worth the cash.

Sam

billspin
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
This not only helps the kids behind the boat but also the people watching from inside the boat. When going slow we found the exhaust air circled back into the boat and was very noticeable. I have been using the FAE for a couple of years now, have had no problems, highly recommend it to everyone I know, and especially like to show it off as to how quiet it makes the boat. Yes it is some $$$$ but my kid and his friends can not have a price attached to them. Be safe.

jleger98
10-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I LOVE mine. definately makes for a quieter ride, 80% reduction in fumes (I think thats what I read) for those in the boat and the riders too. Think of it this way, you spend > $1000 just to get a tower on your boat, $300 bux is a small price to pay for saving ppl in your boat from all the exhaust AND saving everyone from the extra noise.

I'll admit, I'm a big fan, so keep that in mind when I say....Just do it!!

dogbert
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Anybody not like theirs?

R&T Babich
10-10-2007, 05:53 PM
We love it on ours!
The noise reduction is dramatic and we can't smell the exhaust anymore.

The short rubber hose pieces on the threaded rod hangers that act as shock absorbers have been squished. I'm thinking of replacing them with polyurethane or better hose.

I don't know if it's because of the FAE, but the exhaust seems concentrated into a central plume behind the boat. The rising air bubbles makes the center of the wake more bouyant. If you stay in the center of the wake it's not as stable. We don't even notice it when crossing, but when we are teaching beginners they do better when they stay off-center a bit. We only had the boat out twice before putting on the FAE. Does the exhaust without FAE do the same thing?

dogbert
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
yes

sparky216
10-11-2007, 05:41 AM
I love mine, but will say that Dr. Mann did not ship enough clamps to hold it on. It came off about 4 times and did some damage to my swim platform. I would recommend getting some extra clamps to hold the FAE to the manifold. Anyway just my :02: Not a rip on the product I just think I got shorted on some clamps and installed what I got thinking it would be sufficient. It is super quiet and no fumes.....and these ppl complaining about $300 on a 60k+ boat.....come on, buy a Bayliner already!!!

Dan and Christy
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Exactly Sparky, we had ours blow off the first few trips out. After buying some heavy duty clamps we haven't had a problem. It is a great product! I actually am eager to catch a ride at the reunion with someone who doesn't have it. Of course if anyone wants to jump in with us to listen, come on over.

dogbert
10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
I love mine, but will say that Dr. Mann did not ship enough clamps to hold it on. It came off about 4 times and did some damage to my swim platform. I would recommend getting some extra clamps to hold the FAE to the manifold. Anyway just my :02: Not a rip on the product I just think I got shorted on some clamps and installed what I got thinking it would be sufficient. It is super quiet and no fumes.....and these ppl complaining about $300 on a 60k+ boat.....come on, buy a Bayliner already!!!

Be sure to let Larry know, he'll definitely fix it. He loves getting any kind of feedback. I had him out on my boat this summer and he's going to replace my downspout because it's too long and he says there's too much spray.

chpthril
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Exactly Sparky, we had ours blow off the first few trips out. After buying some heavy duty clamps we haven't had a problem. It is a great product! I actually am eager to catch a ride at the reunion with someone who doesn't have it. Of course if anyone wants to jump in with us to listen, come on over.

I Forgot how quit my boat is til I surfed behind Wminnich's this week.......and wow, what a differance. :ro:

To back-up what Sparky said, look at what we are willing to pay for tower speakers :eek: and we are hung up over $300 that will make the whole day far more enjoyable then any $1200 pair of speakers.

evil0ne
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Of course if anyone wants to jump in with us to listen, come on over.

I will be interested for sure.

dogbert
10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
To back-up what Sparky said, look at what we are willing to pay for tower speakers :eek: and we are hung up over $300 that will make the whole day far more enjoyable then any $1200 pair of speakers.

This is why I got mine to begin with. I did add some more sound on my tower after that, but it was admittedly overkill.

The CO reduction was just an added bonus.

Doc
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
We (Fresh Air Exhaust) recently used a different brand rubber hose for our joints. Since then, we have had one customer tell us that their system was slipping off. We sent him a replacement. If you are having this problem, let us know. We will not purchase this brand of hose again. The hose clamps we use are heavy duty, 100% stainless steel and made in America.

FAE is designed to slip loose if you should strike something; consequently, there is a balance in the design between too tight and too loose.

We no longer use the rubber hose on the mounting all-thread as it does just squish over time. We now use a stainless sleeve over the all-thread and it looks much better. If you want to cover your all-thread with the stainless sleeve, let us know.

When we sell a FAE, we expect it to work. If it doesn't work or install as expected, we will send replacement parts as necessary. We rely upon customer feedback to improve Fresh Air Exhaust.

The carbon monoxide reduction was reported as 90% by the CDC. That testing was conducted upon an older carbureted engine Nautique. On testing we performed on our 2001 Tige throttle body fuel injected engine we obtained improvements as high as 98% CO reduction.

R&T Babich
10-12-2007, 12:33 PM
We no longer use the rubber hose on the mounting all-thread as it does just squish over time. We now use a stainless sleeve over the all-thread and it looks much better.

Our kit came with the SS tube to cover the threaded rod and a short piece of hose. The rubber hose getting squished tells me there is some movement there that the rubber hose allows. If it were replaced with a full-length SS tube there wouldn't be any allowance for movement.

dogbert
10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Our kit came with the SS tube to cover the threaded rod and a short piece of hose. The rubber hose getting squished tells me there is some movement there that the rubber hose allows. If it were replaced with a full-length SS tube there wouldn't be any allowance for movement.

I have the same setup as you, but there's an extra nut on the one end that's supposed to prevent that from happening. I'll see if I can dig up a decent picture that illustrates this.

Lunchbox
11-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Is FAE fairly easy to install? Can a guy with modestly decent mechanic skills put this on? All the "How To" pix are gone - All I can see are before and afters... I really like this idea and want to get it but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have it installed... Any idea how much time it would take?

LBX

chpthril
11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Is FAE fairly easy to install? Can a guy with modestly decent mechanic skills put this on? All the "How To" pix are gone - All I can see are before and afters... I really like this idea and want to get it but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have it installed... Any idea how much time it would take?

LBX

Basic tools is all you need i.e drill/bits, hack saw. screwdrivers, nut drivers, wrenches and sockets and ratchet wrench. A little 3m5200 for the flange screws.

Should be able to do inside of 2.5 hrs.

billspin
11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Exactly how chpthril has described it. Very good installation instructions are included. I had a couple of questions and I called the company and actually was able to talk to someone on the first call. Very good company and individuals to work with.

jleger98
11-04-2007, 06:31 PM
yep, I did mine in < 2 hrs. Dr. Mann is great to work with, and each system is custom made for your boat. As far as tech skills needed, if you are even moderately mechanically inclined, you can install this no problem. If you can work a hose clamp, you should be good.

whitlock87
11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

LBX

Larry gives you everything you need - the marine epoxy.
It is a very easy install, and you will love the noise reduction.
David W.

jleger98
11-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Larry gives you everything you need - the marine epoxy.
It is a very easy install, and you will love the noise reduction.
David W.
Not to mention the fumes reduction :)

Lunchbox
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Not to mention the fumes reduction :)

I like it for sound but I especially like it for the fumes reduction... I seem to be particularly sensitive to breathing in all that exhaust all day long...

Thanks to everyone for all your input... particularly whitlock (thanks for the PM, this board is the best for support)

LBX

dogbert
11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I like it for sound but I especially like it for the fumes reduction... I seem to be particularly sensitive to breathing in all that exhaust all day long...

Thanks to everyone for all your input... particularly whitlock (thanks for the PM, this board is the best for support)

LBX

I bet your dealer would do the install on your boat. I know mine does.

Lunchbox
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah... I talked (actually emailed) Larry and they are having an end of season sale of sorts... If you're interested in this mod, now is the time to do it... Prices will probably go up next year...

I've pre-ordered mine (Merry x-mas to me) but I just wanted to give the guys at FAE a little shout out for hooking me up... :ro:

http://www.FreshAirExhaust.com

LBX

Fit to be Tige
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
These are sales prices or just the standard price, which as you said will likely go up next year?

spharis
11-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah... I talked (actually emailed) Larry and they are having an end of season sale of sorts... If you're interested in this mod, now is the time to do it... Prices will probably go up next year...

I've pre-ordered mine (Merry x-mas to me) but I just wanted to give the guys at FAE a little shout out for hooking me up... :ro:

http://www.FreshAirExhaust.com

LBX

So what was the discount off the list price?

Lunchbox
11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
So what was the discount off the list price?

I got $50 off of list... Your boat may be different... Give them a call or email (mail@boatpipes.com) to find out.

These are sales prices or just the standard price, which as you said will likely go up next year?

I don't want to speak for Larry but here is his response to my initial question:

"The system for the 20V with fiberglass swim platform is $399.25
We are having an end of the season sale which is $50 off. Prices are almost certain to go up before next spring due to the rising cost of stainless steel.
You can order by phone: 512.647.7321

Larry Mann, DC

Hill Country Boardz, LLC
TrickBoardz.com
FreshAirExhaust.com

5328 Reimers Rd
Spicewood TX 78669"

skindog44
01-12-2011, 03:07 AM
just ordered on from Larry, got in on the special year-end discount he was offering. I'm stoked about the FAE and am hoping for another great surfing season with my tunes loud and clear with little engine noise!! The CM fumes being gone is also a bonus, but I plan to die young anyway!! Screw the nursing home!

jleger98
01-12-2011, 03:15 AM
You're gonna love it!

laserfish
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
My FAE Christmas present is sitting in the garage waiting on warmer weather for the install. Can hardly wait. With the new Samson HLCD speakers and Harpoon amp that arrived yesterday along with my Samson tower we should be rockin the lake this summer. Sure made me glad I paid insurance all those years!